• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Speeding Ticket: Getting a plea bargain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

It says on my NYS speeding ticket to submit a not guilty plea within 2 days, if I submit one past this do I eliminate my chances of getting a plea bargain? Am I allowed to plea not guilty at all past 2 days? How the hell do they even know when I sent it?

adjusterjack

I don't think that when you send it has anything to do with your chances for a plea bargain.

As to knowing when you sent it, they look at the postmark on the envelope.

All you can do is send it and hope for the best.

FlyingRon

What is possible depends very much on where your case would be heard (TVB or which court). I'm not sure what you are asking. If you plead guilty out of the gate, you won't get any consideration. The case is over. If you don't plead guilty, you can plead not guilty up until the due date (which is typical 15 days from the issuance).

If your case is heard in the TVB rather than a real court, there's no chance at all of a plea bargain or other negotiation. You're either found not guilty or guilty of the charge you were cited for. The only discretion the hearing officer has is to reduce the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">