• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

O.C.G.A 40-14-7 | Do I have an argument?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billt01

Georgia | Local Municipality law

It is 4:30am, the COUNTY officer is running stationary radar on the side of the road. There are no streetlights where the officer was parked. I asked if the officer needed to be running radar with parking lights, he stated no but that he needed to be visible for 500 FT. and that he saw me from 500 FT away. Granted, my lights were on when I was coming down the road.

He was not visible for 500 FT away.

Can I plead not guilty simply on the fact that the officer was not visible from 500 FT away?

Thank you

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is information about this here:

www.pacga.org/site/protected_docs/gtp_volume5_issue3.pdf

Other things I have read seem to indicate that it will depend upon the court/judge.

Your best bet is to consult with an attorney to get real-world information for the area that the violation took place in.

TigerD

Georgia | Local Municipality law

It is 4:30am, the COUNTY officer is running stationary radar on the side of the road. There are no streetlights where the officer was parked. I asked if the officer needed to be running radar with parking lights, he stated no but that he needed to be visible for 500 FT. and that he saw me from 500 FT away. Granted, my lights were on when I was coming down the road.

He was not visible for 500 FT away.

Can I plead not guilty simply on the fact that the officer was not visible from 500 FT away?

Thank you
How fast were you going and how much over the speed limit was that?

TD

billt01

I will tell the judge that the officer informed me that he must be visible for 500 FT, and he was not visible for 500 FT.

I don't see how that could be misinterpreted or disrespectful.

Are the laws written not for both parties to follow?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will tell the judge that the officer informed me that he must be visible for 500 FT, and he was not visible for 500 FT.

I don't see how that could be misinterpreted or disrespectful.

Are the laws written not for both parties to follow?
What evidence do you have to counter his testimony that visibility was =>500'?

billt01

It was 4:30am, on a two lane road, with no streetlights. I realize that the definition of "visible" may be interpreted differently, but the definition of "visible" is:

1.that can be seen; perceptible to the eye:--he was not

Now that being said, if the officer is not honest, I can do nothing about that.

What evidence do you have to counter his testimony that visibility was =>500'?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was 4:30am, on a two lane road, with no streetlights. I realize that the definition of "visible" may be interpreted differently, but the definition of "visible" is:

1.that can be seen; perceptible to the eye:--he was not

Now that being said, if the officer is not honest, I can do nothing about that.
What date did this occur on?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I suggest you put some time and energy into finding the statute which details this five hundred feet rule. You'll have a better idea of what is actually required. Don't necessarily go by what the officer told you.

billt01

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7 (Copy w/ Cite)
Pages: 2

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2014 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2014 Regular Session ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 14. USE OF SPEED DETECTION AND TRAFFIC-CONTROL SIGNAL MONITORING DEVICES
ARTICLE 2. SPEED DETECTION DEVICES

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-7 (2014)

§ 40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

I suggest you put some time and energy into finding the statute which details this five hundred feet rule. You'll have a better idea of what is actually required. Don't necessarily go by what the officer told you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">