• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a copy of a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shenaugle

What is the name of your state? Florida
My father passed away in Fl in Feb.2004. When he died we asked his wife(not my mother) if we were named (my sisters and myself) in the will. She said no that he left everything to her. Before they were married 4 years ago we were in the will. We asked her for a copy of the will and she will not give us one. What can we do. I live in Michigan.

K

krispenstpeter

Contact the county courthouse and / or the Recorder's office and give them his name, the date he died and any other information you can think of. If the will has been probated or if it has been filed, you can obtain a copy for a copying fee and postage.

If there was no probate, then the widow is holding on to the will and you can begin probate for your father as dying 'intestate' or without a will. She will either be forced to produce the will to refute the instate finding or not.

Either way, the ball will then be in her court.

Dandy Don

She probably had a newer will drawn up that supercedes/cancels the previous one. But most states require that children must be named in the will, so (let's hope he didn't specifically disinherit you by name) after you get a copy of the will you need to have it reviewed by a Florida probate attorney in the same county to determine if it is invalid (it probably will be) and to find out another way to get your share of this estate if the will is thrown out.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">