• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a Key to My Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MidgesMess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I just found out that I inherited 1/3 of a piece property in 2007 when my mother died. This information was concealed from me for four years. I found out by "accident" when a bill for home owner's insurance was sent to my house by mistake. They had to put my name on the insurance to receive full payment if the house was damaged, but they did not tell me they had made me legally responsible for the debt. They forgot to pay a bill, so one came to my house...that is how I found out what they had been doing for four years.

I have consulted a lawyer who told me what I can seek monetarily from them and what my liabilities (expenses on the property) are. She is out of town so I can't ask her more questions at the moment. I know they are in the house this week doing things without my permission or consent.

I have asked for a key. They are refusing to respond. I know I have a right to inspect my property. I do not know what rights I have or what the proper legal procedure is to make that happen.

Can I change the locks myself and provide them with copies of the key?
Can I hire a locksmith?

Thank you for your time.

MidgesMess

Duplicate Post

I apologize for the duplicate post, but I am not sure where to post such a query. I am unfamiliar with property laws and suddenly find myself trying to catch up after being in the dark for four years. I hoped posting here might yield a better reply on a legal advice forum than "ask your lawyer" and "locksmiths are expensive."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I apologize for the duplicate post, but I am not sure where to post such a query. I am unfamiliar with property laws and suddenly find myself trying to catch up after being in the dark for four years. I hoped posting here might yield a better reply on a legal advice forum than "ask your lawyer" and "locksmiths are expensive."
Why would you expect that? Those are accurate and on-point replies. Sorry you don't LIKE to hear it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">