• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a Top Secret Clearance for Foreign Service and Mental Illness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hurley21

Hello All-

I was medically discharged (Honorably) from the Air Force in 2007 with a diagnosis of PTSD from psychological trauma that occurred before my enlistment and suggestive symptoms for Bipolar Disorder. I had left a 4 year abusive relationship just prior to enlistment. The abuse I had suffered left me anxious and unable to sleep. I went to see the base psychiatrist and within the year I was being separated from the military.

It is now 2010 and I have been perfectly fine psychologically since my discharge.

I am now an undergraduate student and I am very interested in a career in Foreign Service with the State Department. They require a top secret security clearance. Other than the medical discharge in my history, I have never been in trouble with the law, no financial issues, no health problems, no foreign family members, no dual citizenship, no lengthy time spent in a foreign country, etc.

Does anyone know how that medical discharge is likely to effect me in obtaining a secret security clearance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">