• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining Child Custody and changing child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

You didn't understand the situation at the beginning that's why you were asking questions. I know a court order remains in place until someone makes a motion to change it. That's why I'm still paying child support until the order gets changed again. See, you don't understand my situation.

If the court just goes back to the date I filed for her to pay child support that will not be fair.
To go back any further than December would be legally wrong. To go back any further than the date that you filed may not be legally proper. The fact that you think it would be unfair is just your personal opinion and that has no value under the law. None of our personal opinions do.

I understand there are some legal rules or procedures. Is just it doesn't make any sense that someone else has physical custody of the minor and the court wouldn't care about that. That's why I said previously that the legal system is messed in many ways.
But you did not have physical custody of the child until December. Had you filed in court for custody of your daughter back when she started living with someone else the court would have cared then. However, you did not do so. You waited until now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I know a court order remains in place until someone makes a motion to change it. That's why I'm still paying child support until the order gets changed again. I understand that asking for arrears to go back to August 2019 would be probably too much. Is just that it doesn't make too much sense that the court would not make her pay for not been a responsible parent. She gave up and stop taking care of her own daughter. Is like if she is behaving like a drug addict.
You weren't taking care of your daughter either if you want to be repaid for support since August 2019 until December 2019.

To go back any further than December would be legally wrong. To go back any further than the date that you filed may not be legally proper. The fact that you think it would be unfair is just your personal opinion and that has no value under the law. None of our personal opinions do.

But you did not have physical custody of the child until December. Had you filed in court for custody of your daughter back when she started living with someone else the court would have cared then. However, you did not do so. You waited until now.

Look, that's fine if it doesn't go back to the moment my daughter moved out. I'm just wanting to be that way because the mother didn't gave any money to my daughter during that time.

That's correct, I didn't had any custody of the child until December. My daughter moved out of her mother's house during the beginning of the semester in August when she was in North Carolina. I spoke with the guardian at that moment of my daughter which is her friend's mother and we all agree that my daughter was going to stay there until the semester completed but the mother decided to end that agreement and she ended up sending my daughter with me on December. I didn't filed back in August because I was not sure if it was going to be a temporary thing. I filed on December because that's when my daughter did moved with and then I was sure that she wanted to live me rather than with her mother.

You weren't taking care of your daughter either if you want to be repaid for support since August 2019 until December 2019.
I was passing child support that was not going to my daughter. If it's proven in court that the minor didn't lived with the mother since August and the mother has no prove of using the child support money for the minor. Then have the child support office keep the money to them self to buy office supplies. I rather have them use the money for office supplies than letting my ex keep the money for her self. I know is not possible I'm just baffled about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">