• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining criminal history report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaotic08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello,

I have a question. Is it illegal for someone to obtain somone else's full criminal history report without their permission? Then proceed to carelessly show it to anyone they wish?

I ask because I have encountered a strange situation with a family member, my 19 yr old daughter. Somehow her SSN is showing up on my criminal history report. ( I have some things on there that date back to 1989-1990, stuff of course I am not proud of, but non the less it is there and most were dismissed cases). We have the same first name and middle inital and at the time same last name when I was married to her father. I have never been in any legal trouble since then.

Anyhow, I learned that she was able to get a copy of my full criminal history report from someone who pulled it at the county sherriffs office I am assuming. Said that she knew it was illegal to have, but had to get special permission in order to obtain it since her SSN is pulling up my stuff. But according to what my oldest daugheter said, that "M" has no criminal history as it was stated on the sheriff letterhead, but the report she did in fact have my criminal history.

I am presently in a legal situation that involves the said 19 yr old. Isn't this a violation of my rights/privacy? She shouldn't be allowed to have been given my criminal record and then just be showing it to all her friends and her fathers side of the family- people I dont' even associate with anymore.

Any advice? Thanks

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello,

I have a question. Is it illegal for someone to obtain somone else's full criminal history report without their permission? Then proceed to carelessly show it to anyone they wish?

I ask because I have encountered a strange situation with a family member, my 19 yr old daughter. Somehow her SSN is showing up on my criminal history report. ( I have some things on there that date back to 1989-1990, stuff of course I am not proud of, but non the less it is there and most were dismissed cases). We have the same first name and middle inital and at the time same last name when I was married to her father. I have never been in any legal trouble since then.

Anyhow, I learned that she was able to get a copy of my full criminal history report from someone who pulled it at the county sherriffs office I am assuming. Said that she knew it was illegal to have, but had to get special permission in order to obtain it since her SSN is pulling up my stuff. But according to what my oldest daugheter said, that "M" has no criminal history as it was stated on the sheriff letterhead, but the report she did in fact have my criminal history.

I am presently in a legal situation that involves the said 19 yr old. Isn't this a violation of my rights/privacy? She shouldn't be allowed to have been given my criminal record and then just be showing it to all her friends and her fathers side of the family- people I dont' even associate with anymore.

Any advice? Thanks

Criminal Records are public record. And why haven't you taken care of this problem?? Don't you think it could cause issues for your daughter to have her information on your record??

chaotic08

Criminal Records are public record. And why haven't you taken care of this problem?? Don't you think it could cause issues for your daughter to have her information on your record??

I just learned of this problem in August 2008 when I actually went and obtained a copy of my criminal history report and I did in fact notice it on there. (her SSN) When I asked if I could get a copy of my daughters, I was told that I could not, not without her written permission.

According to the GBI website you can find out if a person is a convicted felon for a 15.00 fee. But in order to get a full criminal(state) history you need the persons permission. At least that what I understood when I was reading it.

I have absoloutely no problem what so ever in making sure any thing on my CH does not affect her in a shape or form. I am still trying to figure out her SSN got on there to begin with. I have even found her negative stuff on my credit report and I have excellant credit. Just not sure how to go about making sure her record is clean. We are not on speaking terms. She has never been in any trouble, YET!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">