• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining info from HR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KABear70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

A coworker sent both my boss and me the same text message. My boss asked me not to reply to it. The coworker was reprimanded, but I don't have any specifics. I haven't told anyone, but I blocked this coworker months ago and never got to read the text. As I put information together, it may have contained a threat and/or racist overtones. Do I ask HR to provide me a copy? How do I do this without the parties knowing I blocked her and never got the text? My cell phone provider cannot retrieve it for me. I am concerned that if HR finds out I never received it, they will "make the text disappear". This coworker has a history of being volatile, so I wonder about an OOP, but I can't file one without more info.

Does HR have to provide me a copy of said text if I request it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

A coworker sent both my boss and me the same text message. My boss asked me not to reply to it. The coworker was reprimanded, but I don't have any specifics. I haven't told anyone, but I blocked this coworker months ago and never got to read the text. As I put information together, it may have contained a threat and/or racist overtones. Do I ask HR to provide me a copy? How do I do this without the parties knowing I blocked her and never got the text? My cell phone provider cannot retrieve it for me. I am concerned that if HR finds out I never received it, they will "make the text disappear". This coworker has a history of being volatile, so I wonder about an OOP, but I can't file one without more info.

No.

Besides - if you never got the text, then you never got it. It has nothing to do with you now.

PayrollHRGuy

The employer has reprimanded the employee in question. You gain nothing from having access to this text. Your employer has no duty to provide you a copy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do I ask HR to provide me a copy? No.

How do I do this without the parties knowing I blocked her and never got the text? You don't.

I am concerned that if HR finds out I never received it, they will "make the text disappear". So what? They've already handled it. There's no need for you to do anything.

This coworker has a history of being volatile, so I wonder about an OOP, but I can't file one without more info. Then you don't file one. It's unlikely that one text is going to be sufficient to qualify you for one anyway.

Does HR have to provide me a copy of said text if I request it? No.

HRZ

you risk getting on the secret list of problem employees yourself if you ask HR or boss about problems that really have nothing to do with you ...and to have blocked employe XX to me is a good point in not getting involved with XX and in a way keeps you out of a debate about using company time and equipment for personal business..if all this takes place at work. ..often doing nothing and saying nothing is the best course of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">