• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odd questions about paternal tests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Alright, this might sound far fetched, but it is true.
I had a long term relationship with a relative of mine, and found out that she was also sleeping with my father. I was child at the time, so I when she became pregnant, i had no reason to doubt that the child was my father's. Several recent conversations with my father have revealed that the child may be mine, but I would need to get a blood test to find the truth. The problem is that custody of the child was signed over to an aunt who has been lying to the child from day one. I have good reason to believe that she would deny my request for a blood test, and I'd like to know if the law will allow me to order the test.
Futhermore, if I am indeed the father, what action would I take to get custody of my child? The child's birth mother signed away her custody a long time ago, but because I was never made aware that I mught be the father, I made no such decision. I feel like she is living in an unhealthy emotional environment and would very much like to get her away from this aunt, but haven't the first clue of what my rights are.

Any help is greatly appreciated.


Senior Member
I think, but am not sure, that you can get a court order for a paternity test. You may be able to file one but I think it would be better to get a lawyer to do it.

If the paternity test comes out that the child is yours then you need to file for custody. You can also do this by yourself or through a lawyer.

I'll give some sites you can research.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential