• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offensive Commercial Ad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

I'm all about letting companies know what they are doing to irritate me, and that I will boycott them. :p

Last July, I wrote every NFL sponsor of my extreme displeasure at the 'antics' of Browns player Crowell, and my intent to boycott. :cool:
I, too, have no problem letting companies know when what they are doing irritates me. I also let companies know when I think what they are doing is worthy of applause.

In fact, I tend to communicate the latter much more frequently than the former because companies often hear complaints from consumers but rarely hear praise.

Wiljon

Thanks for the comments. It wasn't a political commercial, just an ad about a phone app that was offensive to me because of my medical condition. Can I pursue legal action against the company?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the comments. It wasn't a political commercial, just an ad about a phone app that was offensive to me because of my medical condition. Can I pursue legal action against the company?
NO. You don't get to sue just because you got your feelings hurt...

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Anyone can sue anyone for anything in this fine country of ours; you will not, however, be successful.

Your name sounds awfully familiar, you know.

quincy

Can you pursue a legal action? It does not appear from what you have said that there is any legal action with merit for you to pursue.

If you find an advertisement offensive, you can let the company know you find it offensive and/or you can stop watching the ad. And you can let the network or networks that air the ad know that you find the ad offensive.

quincy

That seems farfetched.

Explain it or I'll think you a troll.
Offensive is subjective. What is found offensive by one may not be offensive to others. Because broadcast advertising is strictly regulated by the FTC, it would be the unusual ad that would be aired that was truly offensive.

What is more likely to create an issue for an advertiser is false advertising.

When deciding whether the First Amendment protects commercial speech, there are generally four questions asked. One, does the ad concern a lawful activity and is not fraudulent or misleading? Two, does the government have a substantial interest in restricting this commercial speech? Three, does the regulation directly advance that governmental interest? Four, is the regulation more extensive than necessary to serve that governmental interest?

(It appears, by the way, that we have seen Wiljon on this forum before. The moderator has been asked to review this thread)

Last edited:

quincy

Thanks all. I am new to the site, just registered this morning in order to ask a question.
Ah. Well, you happened to pick a username that raises some red flags. ;)

You can take the suggestions offered. Apparently none of us see in what you describe any legal action to pursue.

adjusterjack

Thanks all. I am new to the site, just registered this morning in order to ask a question.
You've managed to avoid the question of how an ad about a phone app was offensive to you because of your medical condition.

Avoiding a question that asks you to explain yourself is suspiciously troll-like.

quincy

You've managed to avoid the question of how an ad about a phone app was offensive to you because of your medical condition.

Avoiding a question that asks you to explain yourself is suspiciously troll-like.
I don't think it actually matters all that much which ad Wiljon found offensive and I don't think Wiljon needs to reveal his medical condition to satisfy our curiosity.

If a broadcast advertisement was truly offensive, it probably never would have passed network censors. If Wiljon thinks the ad might have escaped censorship for some reason, he can complain to the network and to the company running the ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">