• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offer a Prize on my Website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mortgageguy

Minnesota

I want to have a drawing for a prize to people registering on my new online auction website (it is free to register) in the month of September. I would also like to add an entry each time someone post an auction as well ( not free). Can I do that or do I have to make it available to anyone?

FlyingRon

Anytime you make entry contingent on someone passing money or something else of consideration as a requirement to enter, you run the risk of being considered an illegal lottery. This is why many places that do this allow an alternative method of submitting entries that doesn't cost anything (usually by snail mail).

You may wish to review the Minnesnowta statutory definition here:
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.75&year=2008

abrakadabra

i have a similar question. When i'm selling online for example 1000 books and i would like to draw a prize for every one who buy a book, then it may be consider as illegal lottery.. But what if i tell , that i'm selling 1000 books, and one of them comes with a 1000 $ inside (i am selling a book and a money in it) but no one know which book will be "lucky book". Would it be lottery, is that legal?

FlyingRon

ABRA, Your is no way similar. Yours is an out and out lottery. Just because you try to "hide" it doesn't make it so. I don't know what state you are in, but I can almost guarantee that this will be illegal in your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">