• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offering personally funded scholarship to previous HS, application legal issues?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jissues

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

I would like to offer a small scholarship to someone at my previous high school. Will be one winner a year. They will need to do an essay and fill out an application, provide transcripts, and a photo for me. Are there any legal issues that I need to deal with by doing so? This is coming out of my personal account, not related to a business. Sorry, don't know where to post the question, but feel it is more contact based.

Are their any questions on the application I CANNOT ask?

Thanks!

Dave1952

Have you spoken with your alma mater's office? They may have this info. Even so, I'd recommend getting a lawyer to advise you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming

I would like to offer a small scholarship to someone at my previous high school. Will be one winner a year. They will need to do an essay and fill out an application, provide transcripts, and a photo for me. Are there any legal issues that I need to deal with by doing so? This is coming out of my personal account, not related to a business. Sorry, don't know where to post the question, but feel it is more contact based.

Are their any questions on the application I CANNOT ask?

Thanks!
In what country are you currently living, jissues? Is the personal account one in the US or in your current country of residence?

It can help forum members if you put all of your related questions in one thread. Thanks.

Other thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/banking-credit-cards-18/legal-recourse-bank-decides-close-account-due-living-abroad-628422.html

Last edited:

jissues

Have you spoken with your alma mater's office? They may have this info. Even so, I'd recommend getting a lawyer to advise you.
I just sent both the school and the district a message about this, perhaps they have a lawyer that will review everything before they allow students to apply for it, thanks, I will check.

In what country are you currently living, jissues? Is the personal account one in the US or in your current country of residence?

It can help forum members if you put all of your related questions in one thread. Thanks.

Other thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/banking-credit-cards-18/legal-recourse-bank-decides-close-account-due-living-abroad-628422.html
Two threads totally unrelated. I am a US citizen and prefer to keep my country of residence private.. I have no idea who is reading these threads. Again it should not matter where I am currently living. I am not living in a rouge state. And again this question and the last are totally unrelated. :)

Last edited:

quincy

I just sent both the school and the district a message about this, perhaps they have a lawyer that will review everything before they allow students to apply for it, thanks, I will check.

Two threads totally unrelated. I am a US citizen and prefer to keep my country of residence private.. I have no idea who is reading these threads. Again it should not matter where I am currently living. I am not living in a rouge state. And again this question and the last are totally unrelated. :)
Your two threads are not unrelated. The country where you reside can have an impact on your US bank account AND on any scholarship you hope to offer, as can other facts and factors.

If you are reluctant to divulge too much on a public forum (and it can be smart to keep some information private), you will need to seek out assistance from an attorney (in the US or in the country where you currently reside) who can keep your private information confidential.

justalayman

. I am not living in a rouge state. And again this question and the last are totally unrelated. :)
does that mean you are in a state where democrats typically are in the majority?

Or does it have something to do with not wearing makeup?

LdiJ

does that mean you are in a state where democrats typically are in the majority?

Or does it have something to do with not wearing makeup?
If the OP is someone speaking English as a second language they absolutely will not get that...and in fact it could make you look tacky

quincy

If the OP is someone speaking English as a second language they absolutely will not get that...and in fact it could make you look tacky
Tacky? Seriously?

jissues is a US citizen who graduated from a Wyoming high school and is looking to offer a high school scholarship. If he does not know the difference between the words "rogue" and "rouge" in either definition or spelling, he should learn this difference before using either word. It seems likely that he learned how to use a dictionary when he was in school.

Last edited:

justalayman

He said he is a US citizen and attended school in the US. I suspect he is fluent in English.

As far as appearing tacky;

I couldn't care less if somebody sees that as tacky. I've been called much worse and survived.

quincy

I'd start by skipping the photo requirement. Why do you want it?
Photos seem unnecessary but it will be the transcripts that jissues will be unable to get.

And any application needs to be drafted carefully.

If he sincerely wants to offer a scholarship to a high school student, he should consider what Dave1952 wrote. jissues would be smart to speak to an attorney in Wyoming or in his area (the area of which is currently somewhere other than the US) to go over the legalities.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agree absolutely with westside. The photo requirement could very easily put you on the wrong side of a discrimination lawsuit.

quincy

Agree absolutely with westside. The photo requirement could very easily put you on the wrong side of a discrimination lawsuit.
There is a LOT that could put him on the wrong side of a discrimination lawsuit. :)

There are issues with the wording of a scholarship application, in required attachments with the application, in narrowing the applicant-field without unintentionally and illegally discriminating, in funding (again, jissues' personal banking account in the US has been closed due to his current country of residence) ...

Dave1952 has offered the best advice. jissues should discuss with the school and with an attorney what he needs to do to set up a scholarship for high school students so his scholarship does not cross any legal lines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">