• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer reenactment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carlin85

What is the name of your state?
California

A few months ago my husband got into a bit of trouble. They are trying to peg him with assault with a deadly weapon on an officer, saying that my husband tried to hit the officer with our car. Several witness including myself can state otherwise. The last time we went to court, they had the officer on the stand and he retold his story of what happened. Clearly there were several holes in his recollection of what had taken place. He also had pictures of a "reinactment" that him and another officer had taken in an attempt to show my husband's guilt, as well as an illustration done by the officer. My question is this, would it be smart for my husband to recreate his own reenactment and take pictures of it to show his version of what happened? I thought it was a good idea, but his family seems to think that it will anger the judge as if we were mocking the officer in some way.

Just Blue

California

A few months ago my husband got into a bit of trouble. They are trying to peg him with assault with a deadly weapon on an officer, saying that my husband tried to hit the officer with our car. Several witness including myself can state otherwise. The last time we went to court, they had the officer on the stand and he retold his story of what happened. Clearly there were several holes in his recollection of what had taken place. He also had pictures of a "reinactment" that him and another officer had taken in an attempt to show my husband's guilt, as well as an illustration done by the officer. My question is this, would it be smart for my husband to recreate his own reenactment and take pictures of it to show his version of what happened? I thought it was a good idea, but his family seems to think that it will anger the judge as if we were mocking the officer in some way.
Your husband should ask his attorney.

quincy

California

Reenactments can be helpful.

Does your husband have an attorney? The charge against him is much too serious for him to be handling his defense without an attorney. Your husband faces several years in prison if convicted.

Here is a link to the law under which your husband was charged, Penal Code section 245(c): https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=245

Last edited:

quincy

A charge of assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer is more than "a bit of trouble". He's looking at a 3 year minimum sentence in prison...
The reenactment will have to be pretty darn persuasive. ;)

Witness testimony stands to be vital in defending against the charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">