• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Official Company Letter of Layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

guyntx

What is the name of your state? Texas

Thanks to those replying to 'Military Duty and Layoff in TX'. Her military contacts seem very familiar with this issue and are assisting her.

I might need help.

My current company (over 120 employees) is balking at providing a letter stating I was laid off due to lack of work. I feel the letter will assist in finding employment or collecting unemployment compensation.

Also, my only prospect for work is a challange a partner and I will undertake. We intend to start our own business. We have a business/marketing/finance plan, but still need to apply for funding, which with setup, could take months. My partner has work lined up for when we become operational.

Two questions...

1) My current bosses are corporate officers and they are refusing to communicate with me. My last day is Thursday. How can I get the letter I seek?

2) If I apply for unemployment compensation, how do I avoid confict in regard to collecting money and starting our own business? We have no financing or operation, so I need to collect imcome. On the other hand, I don't want to overlap UC and our operation... where's the cut off?

Thanks!

Beth3

1. A few States require an employer to provide a terminated employee with a "service letter" stating the reason for termination. I don't believe Texas is one of those but you can call your State Department of Labor and inquire. If such a letter is not required by law, there is no way for you to compel your employer to provide it. Not having this letter should not hinder your ability to collect UC or find a new job. I have never requested a letter like this from job candidates.

2. I don't know that there is any conflict between applying for UC and taking steps to start your own business. The actual conflict will likely be that to have continued eligibility for UC, recipients typically have to actively be seeking employment on an on-going basis and produce documentation to that effect to the UC Division upon request.

D

deweydecimal

That is correct you have to apply for jobs to continue to collect unemployment, but of course you have ways of getting around it.

Fax only to blind #'s so you have no clue who the employer is.

Fax to jobs that are entry level, Try not to mail any resumes, the purpose it not for them to call you, but to have at least 3 to 5 applications sent each week.

Also it is time that is important if they ever ask questions,(unlikely) such as what time do you operate your business? If you nomally work M-F 9 to 5 and your business is only open on nights and/or weekends...no conflict

If it is a home internet business, no conflict since you can do it almost anytine you want, unless you specifically have regular business hours and on your website you tell people to call becuase someone will answer the phone.

See not that hard to do.

Last edited:
A

ahutchGA

Dewey, you make me proud

Dewey, thank you for giving hope to all of us who used unemployment as a bridge from job to job.

Thank you for teaching me the error of my ways.

When I was fired while pregnant in 1999, I used unemployment for several months until I found another job.

My whole purpose was to get off unemployment as soon as possible because I would much rather be working under my own power, and not just sitting there waiting for the check to come in.

SILLY ME!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">