• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio - Insuring Decedant's Vacant Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hsulli

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Ohio

Under Ohio law...When no one is living in a decedant's house (which is free from mortgage issues), how can the deceased's homeowners insurance policy be kept active throughout probate (until sale of house)? Do we "have to" find a caretaker to physically live there just to stay adequately insured? Does an insurance co. have an "obligation" to continue coverage under its existing plan? Where do other people turn to for insurance coverage if cancellation is eminent under the existing plan? I haven't found any websites or message boards on this subject, except comments such as "it's a problem". Urgent advice is needed!!! :confused:

HomeGuru

hsulli said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Ohio

Under Ohio law...When no one is living in a decedant's house (which is free from mortgage issues), how can the deceased's homeowners insurance policy be kept active throughout probate (until sale of house)? Do we "have to" find a caretaker to physically live there just to stay adequately insured? Does an insurance co. have an "obligation" to continue coverage under its existing plan? Where do other people turn to for insurance coverage if cancellation is eminent under the existing plan? I haven't found any websites or message boards on this subject, except comments such as "it's a problem". Urgent advice is needed!!! :confused:

**A: and when you contacted the various insurance companies to inquire, what did they tell you?

H

hsulli

You have 21,229 posts? This is my first post & I win a question for an answer? I'll rephrase myself...if you're "knowledgeable" about home owners insurance & the situation I've described, please elaborate on it. Thank you.

HomeGuru

That is correct, because a good attorney gathers all the facts first before providing advice. Read the existing insurance policy because most policies have a clause regarding no coverage if the property has been vacant for acertain period of time
If you are looking for coverage from other companies, what did these companies tell you must be done in order to obtain/maintain coverage?

H

hsulli

property ins. on vacant home

Apologies for not getting back sooner...an Ohio sibling has just told me the existing insur. carrier will offer ONLY fire insur. on the vacant premises; and other carriers are being contacted for quotes on add'l. coverage needs, i.e. liability. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">