• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohiogal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyndi59

Your answers are always perfect. Do you know anything about PA child custody/support rights? My daughter is currently going thru a divorce. Her soon to be x doesn't want to pay CS so he brings diapers and formula. Because the one grandchild in on SSI, her caseworker told her not to file for CS. She said it would be deducted from what he suppose to pay but won't.
Does this make sense?

LdiJ

Your answers are always perfect. Do you know anything about PA child custody/support rights? My daughter is currently going thru a divorce. Her soon to be x doesn't want to pay CS so he brings diapers and formula. Because the one grandchild in on SSI, her caseworker told her not to file for CS. She said it would be deducted from what he suppose to pay but won't.
Does this make sense?
I am not OG, but no that does not make sense. SSI is supplemental EXTRA income for a special needs child, above and beyond what the parents contribute. It should have no connection to child support.

Also, if the two parents qualified for the child to be on SSI while they were together, them being divorced and dad paying child support shouldn't change that qualification.

Which caseworker is telling her that? The child support caseworker or the SSA caseworker? You should also get a clarification from your daughter to make sure that you understand what was said.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not OG, but no that does not make sense. SSI is supplemental EXTRA income for a special needs child, above and beyond what the parents contribute. It should have no connection to child support.

Also, if the two parents qualified for the child to be on SSI while they were together, them being divorced and dad paying child support shouldn't change that qualification.

Which caseworker is telling her that? The child support caseworker or the SSA caseworker? You should also get a clarification from your daughter to make sure that you understand what was said.
I agree with LD on this. Without a child support order dad owes NO child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">