• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OK to delete lots of email?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfobserver

My boss asked me to delete a LOT of email (basically everything more than 3 months old). Our company isn't doing too well (recent layoffs, really bad sales, stock price in the gutter). Though I don't have any specific information on possible lawsuites against the company, I'm concerned about the legal and ethical ramifications of deleting information that could be material. Not sure what to do.... Any advice?

racer72

If your boss has control over your company's internet and email, he can authorize the deletion of email. The company owns the or leases the servers and they can decide what stays and what goes. The company I work for automatically deletes all email over 90 days old and you get no warning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">