• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ok today is my "final" pay day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stugots

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I put in for my ETO and Vacation time BEFORE I was (imo wrongfully) terminated, do they by law have to give me those earned hours?

Also in my state am I entitled to sick time?

Thanks guys

im going down to pick up my final check today and just want to make sure its all correct.

mlane58

Under CT Law, If an employer's policy or collective bargaining agreement provides for the payment of accrued fringe benefits upon termination, including but not limited to paid vacations, and the employee is terminated without having received such accrued fringe benefits, the employee shall be compensated for such accrued fringe benefits exclusive of normal pension benefits in the form of wages in accordance with the employer's agreement or policy.

swalsh411

Don't expect it necessarily to be on the last check though and for your sake don't throw a fit if it's not. It's common practice for many employers (even if State law says otherwise) to pay it on the next pay period after the last hours actually worked. This is especially true if you were terminated on short notice and payroll was not notified in time to pay out your vacation.

swalsh411

But the law requires it be on the final paycheck.
I understand that, and in a perfect world the laws would be reasonable and employers would follow them, but in the real world the laws are not always reasonable and employers don't (or can't, in some cases) follow them. I was simply advising the OP to be prepared to have to wait an additional pay period to receive his vacation pay depending on the timing of his termination. By the time the CT Dept of Labor got around to investigating a complaint the next pay day would have come and gone and he would have gotten the leave payout.

stugots

to be honest if its not on this paycheck but on the next, its cool, I have no problem with that as long as I get it.

So im entitled to vacation/ETO as well as sick days?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's not forget that NO time of any kind is due unless it is required by CBA or policy. CT does NOT require the unconditional payout of unused time, either vacation or sick time; nor is it one of those states that requires it unless a policy says otherwise. Unless the company's policy says that it will pay out the time, then it is not due in any check, final or otherwise.

Please read Mark's post carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">