• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oxyjock

What is the name of your state?North Carolina.
In 1992 I lost my job and was unemployed for a long while. At that time I lived in Ohio. I could not afford to pay for my truck, so I turned it in. A few weeks later I received a letter from the bank that they had sold my truck and I still owed a few thousand dollars. Well, if i could not pay my monthly payments I sure could not pay that much all at once. The bank was sold soon after and I never heard from them for a few years. Now I got a notice from a collection company that after 13 years and being sold several times,that I owe them over $13,000. I just checked my credit report and it is not even on it. Can they actually collect after waiting that long?

Debt Guy

Yes and no. They can attempt to collect forever.

But, the statue of limitations has expired. All that means is that if you are sued, then you can get the lawsuit dismissed by raising the statue of limitations as an affirmative defense.

Send a cease and desist letter. Tell them the debt is time barred and they should never contact you again. Send the letter certified mail, return receipt, and keep copies of everything. You can find samples of the letter at www.creditinforcenter.com/forms

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">