• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Discharged Account Back - They wont remove it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? Texas

In 2004 I filled chapter 7 bankruptcy and it was discharged in early 2005. One of my creditors, US Bank was included in my Schedule F and for the past few years it has shown "Included in Bankruptcy - $0 balance $0 Past Due" on my credit reports. Fast forward to this past Friday. It now shows "$14,810.00 Balance, $499.00 Past Due".

When I called US Bank to determine what happened they indicated that the bureaus contact them to verify account information since it was disputed. This makes sense since i recently used a Credit Repair company that disputed everything under the sun. They were even successful in removing my Chapter 7 information from my credit reports.

US Bank is saying that my chapter 7 bankruptcy was disputed (I don't know how they would know this, they would only see a dispute for US Bank) and verified as not mine, and as such my prior US Bank account has been reaged and now due.

My question to everyone here is that, whether or not the bankruptcy was mine (which it was), can a creditor just reage a legally discharged debt? Why would the creditor re-age this account? What are my options here? Can a previously discharged debt become active again an no longer discharged from a credit dispute?

Thanks!

justalayman

My question to everyone here is that, whether or not the bankruptcy was mine (which it was), can a creditor just reage a legally discharged debt?
No

Why would the creditor re-age this account?
don't really know

What are my options here? Can a previously discharged debt become active again an no longer discharged from a credit dispute?
what dispute? IF it was included and discharged through the BK then there is no collectable debt. Contact the CRAs and dispute the info due to the discharge of the debt via BK.

If the debt was discharged, it is illegal for them to attempt to collect it and the CR must reflect the accurate status of the debt. Given proof of the status, the CRAs must correct the info or they are then liable for the misinformation, not the creditor.

mark1210

Thanks for the information, I will have to do some leg work it sounds like, but that's fine. I called the credit repair people and the verbiage they used was

"User has no recollection of account, please verify and remove promptly"

"User has no recollection of chapter 7 bankruptcy, please verify and remove promptly"

Even with this kind of vague generic verbiage I'm still ok? Obviously, the account and bk is mine...I guess thats how they dispute items?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">