• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Judgement...Questions On Validity & Proper service Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toydiva65

Hello!

We live in Indiana and today, when I got my mail from the mailbox, I found a summons in there (in no envelope). That's my first question.....we were home, have been home all day, yet no one knocked on the door. The bottom of the letter attached to the summons clearly states "The information requested is for the collection of a debt and will be used for that purpose. This communication is from a debt collector." Is that legal? Should someone have delivered this to one of us or left it in the door rather than shoving the open paperwork into our mailbox?

Secondly, this summons is for a judgement against my husband (before we were married) dated November 30th, 1990. The judgement was from an apartment complex where my husband once lived.

We had our credit reports pulled in 1999, when we bought our home. EVERY debt and judgement was paid in full. (I've yet to pull our payment records, which we kept....so we may be able to just blow them off entirely, with the proof) BUT....is this judgement past the statue of limitations? And if so......or if we did, indeed, pay this off, do we have any recourse for the harassment? My husband's employer is listed on this summons as well and this could put his job in jeopardy!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">