• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Life Insurance Policy Found

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUEST35

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello. Just recently I found an old Life Insurance Policy that belonged to my father (died - 1985). This policy was taken out in 1961. I have the actual policy. It has listed me as the beneficiary.

However, I have been unsuccessful in locating "Southern Colonial Life Insurance Company, Federal Land Bank Bldg., Columbia, S.C.". Also listed is "American Equity Life Insurance Company, Columbia, S.C." The policy reads that it is for "one (1) expansion contract". The premiums beings paid were $43.42.

Please advise. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

QUEST35 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello. Just recently I found an old Life Insurance Policy that belonged to my father (died - 1985). This policy was taken out in 1961. I have the actual policy. It has listed me as the beneficiary.

However, I have been unsuccessful in locating "Southern Colonial Life Insurance Company, Federal Land Bank Bldg., Columbia, S.C.". Also listed is "American Equity Life Insurance Company, Columbia, S.C." The policy reads that it is for "one (1) expansion contract". The premiums beings paid were $43.42.

Please advise. Thank you.

My response:

Advise about what? This is a legal forum. What's your "legal" question?

IAAL

QUEST35

Old Life Insurance Policy

Senior Judge, thank you for your kind reply. I have contacted SC Dept. of Insurance but I have got no where.

Are there any laws governing a policy that was found several years after the policyholders death?

S

seniorjudge

QUEST35 said:
Senior Judge, thank you for your kind reply. I have contacted SC Dept. of Insurance but I have got no where.

Are there any laws governing a policy that was found several years after the policyholders death?
I suspect this is one of those companies who disappeared into the gloom one night, carrying away all their assets and disappearing forever from the face of the earth.

Dandy Don

Send me an e-mail that mentions your father's name, date of death (month and year) and city/state of death. I would like to check some other sources where I think some relevant information might be. What is the face value of the policy (payout amount if it had been redeemed)?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
Send me an e-mail that mentions your father's name, date of death (month and year) and city/state of death. I would like to check some other sources where I think some relevant information might be. What is the face value of the policy (payout amount if it had been redeemed)?

My response:

Why? What's the purpose? Are you trying to determine whether or not the policy money is worth stealing from this kid?

IAAL

Dandy Don

Please don't ascribe ulterior motives to me.

I'm trying to help this person find the company they were looking for and to get their money. The information is out there--one just has to know where to look.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
Please don't ascribe ulterior motives to me.

I'm trying to help this person find the company they were looking for and to get their money. The information is out there--one just has to know where to look.

My response:

You don't need to know the amount of the policy - - for ANYTHING!

IAAL

Dandy Don

I asked for that information so that I can know whether I have an exact match when the source of funds is located, and I do know the name of the company that acquired the other insurance company, but I can only give that information to the poster if they send me an e-mail message, since they have disabled contact by private messaging.

Your accusation that I could steal is completely unfounded when there is no way that could happen--the check would be sent to the beneficiary.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
I asked for that information so that I can know whether I have an exact match when the source of funds is located, and I do know the name of the company that acquired the other insurance company, but I can only give that information to the poster if they send me an e-mail message, since they have disabled contact by private messaging.

Your accusation that I could steal is completely unfounded when there is no way that could happen--the check would be sent to the beneficiary.

My response:

What a load of crap. There is NO reason to ask for the amount in order to identify a company name, or the existence of a policy. All you need is the name of the insured, policy number, and MAYBE the Social Security Number. The amount of the policy is absolutely irrelevant.

Remember, Dandy Doofus, you're trying to find out if any of these companies exist, "Southern Colonial Life Insurance Company, Federal Land Bank Bldg., Columbia, S.C.". Also listed is "American Equity Life Insurance Company, Columbia, S.C." The policy reads that it is for "one (1) expansion contract".

. . . and whether any of those companies have been usurped by any other company.

But, if I were the writer, I wouldn't even release the deceased Social Security Number. Therefore, all you need to do is give the writer your findings concerning the old insurance company, and whether it exists, and in what form and by what name.

That's it. Period. End of story!

"so that I can know whether I have an exact match when the source of funds is located" Yeah, right. What a lame excuse.

IAAL

Dandy Don

The insurance company was acquired by Loyal American Life Insurance Co. in 1964 (visit their website at www.loyalamerican.com and click on the CONTACT US link to find an e-mail, toll-free phone number or mailing address in Cincinnati, OH).

After you get your information, I'd appreciate a thank you for my time in researching this for you.

If that company does not have the money, check www.naupa.org and click on the link to SC to see if South Carolina Unclaimed Property Department might have it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
After you get your information, I'd appreciate a thank you for my time in researching this for you.

My response:

And I'd appreciate a special, personal, thank you for trying to keep Dandy Doofus in line.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">