• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old medical and out of network dental bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

February2003

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Just found a stack of medical bills for our child (co-pays, perscription, etc.)...some are as old as 16 months. Is it too late to ask for half from the ex? (we are required to split medical and dental bills 50/50).

Also, child has been going to an out of network dentsit for pure convenience. Are the extra out of network charges incurred also fair game to be split?

LdiJ

February2003 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Just found a stack of medical bills for our child (co-pays, perscription, etc.)...some are as old as 16 months. Is it too late to ask for half from the ex? (we are required to split medical and dental bills 50/50).

Also, child has been going to an out of network dentsit for pure convenience. Are the extra out of network charges incurred also fair game to be split?
Whether or not you can ask for reimbursement depends a great deal on how your order is worded....and perhaps even your state guidelines.

As far as the dentist is concerned...again...its depends a great deal on how your order is worded...however, in my opinion if you chose to go to an out of network dentist for purely your own convenience, then morally you should take responsibility for the extra cost. Not necessarily the entire out of pocket expense, but the cost in excess of what an in network dentist would have cost. Some judges might also agree with my opinion.

February2003

The papers say:

All medical, dental, physician, orthodontia, or hospital bills not covered by said insurance shall be paid one half by wife and one half by the husband.

Do you know a web site where I could find out about state guidelines as to how old the bills can be? I tried various searches on google and couldnt find my answer.

nextwife

He can easily argue that his amount should be the share of what WOULD have been covered by insurance. The only reason that the greater expense was occured and that it WASN'T covered by insurance was because you knowingly CHOSE to use an out of network provider. Now, if NO in-network providers were available, then it would make sense that this simply be split, but it there were in-network and you simply chose not to use them, he can argue to ONLY cover the up to newtork portion.

I'm married to my daughter's father, and we have to use certain inconvenient providers because they are in-network,. That's life, things are not always convenient. He shouldn't have to pay EXTRA because of you choosing to skip network coverage. You created the extra non-covered cost by going out of network.

Last edited:
N

nicetryadmin

February2003 said:
The papers say:

All medical, dental, physician, orthodontia, or hospital bills not covered by said insurance shall be paid one half by wife and one half by the husband.

Do you know a web site where I could find out about state guidelines as to how old the bills can be? I tried various searches on google and couldnt find my answer.
I disagree wholeheartedly with LdiJ as it's irresponsible. YOU failed the send your ex the bills in a timely manner. Why do you think it's fair for your ex to be burden with undue expense because of your irresponsibility? Let this be a lesson to be better organized and eat the costs.

And if you're looking for convenience, then you should pay ALL OF IT for that convenience. :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
nicetryadmin said:
I disagree wholeheartedly with LdiJ as it's irresponsible. YOU failed the send your ex the bills in a timely manner. Why do you think it's fair for your ex to be burden with undue expense because of your irresponsibility? Let this be a lesson to be better organized and eat the costs.

And if you're looking for convenience, then you should pay ALL OF IT for that convenience. :rolleyes:
The thing is LdiJ is correct. it does depend on the way the order is worded. If it says within a reasonable time or something or the state has a default that bills must be presented in a reasonable time, then a judge would probably find that 18 months is not reasonable but 30 days is.
Morally I think LdiJ (sorry don't want to speak for you but just from reading your other posts I am guessing) would agree with you that people should be responsible and not expect someone to pay a bill after 18 months. I also agree that people who do things strictly for convenience should pay for all the convenience and not put the fees off on others.

But a judge will rule based on the support order and law. A judge within his discretion might determine that any difference between in-network and out-of network providers that were used strictly for convenience belongs to the person who made the appointment unless prior agreement was reached with the other parent. However, the order rules. So LdiJ is correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">