• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old water damage discovered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reba105

What is the name of your state? Texas

I’m painting inside my house and moved some antique furniture I had on one wall in living room. The wall is on other side of kitchen and also next to exterior of house.
Underneath the China cabinet is clear water damage that has dried up. The cabinet was damaged and stained carpet and there is a white hardened substance like little dots on carpet. (Very little of this). And it doesn’t appear to have spread anywhere else.
It is completely dry. I can’t see any damage on wall. I suspect it’s from dishwasher maybe but that has been replaced and they didn’t say anything to me. Garbage disposal was recently replaced and outside faucet was just recently worked on for a new handle.

My question is should I turn this into insurance? I have not had an insurance claim in over 15 years. My fear is even if they deny it I will open myself up to my house being marked as some sort of mold damaged place and hurt resale. I’m wanting to sell my house later this year (which was why I was painting). Money is tight so I could really use insurance covering some of cost but don’t want to open myself up to hurting resale or having some mold remediation thing going on that insurance won’t cover.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

It is likely maintenance issue and not covered by your insurance.

As far as being marked, that isn't going to happen. If every house that ever had a water claim was "marked" there would be many fewer houses on the market.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As far as being marked, that isn't going to happen. If every house that ever had a water claim was "marked" there would be many fewer houses on the market.
The OP will likely need to disclose this to potential buyers.

PayrollHRGuy

If there is no structural damage I can't see where any notification would be required. If there is I've not mentioned spilled water in every home I've ever sold.

Zigner

If there is no structural damage I can't see where any notification would be required. If there is I've not mentioned spilled water in every home I've ever sold.
This isn't "spilled water" - this is water damage cause, most likely, by a malfunctioning dishwasher.

PayrollHRGuy

According to the OP description, it was the carpet and the cabinet that was stained and she didn't know where the water came from. No damage to any structure.

Zigner

According to the OP description, it was the carpet and the cabinet that was stained and she didn't know where the water came from. No damage to any structure.
You may be right, but I doubt the OP has pulled up the carpet to look at that.

Reba105

It is likely maintenance issue and not covered by your insurance.

Do you think it hurts to go ahead and check with insurance first?

Zigner

Do you think it hurts to go ahead and check with insurance first?
I think you should do a little bit of investigation first. I also think that this is not going to be covered by insurance even if you find evidence of a past leak vs. some spilled water, as mentioned above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">