• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On going issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleayh01

What is the name of your state? GA

Happy New Year everyone!

Alright, Ex and I went to court on Dec. 13th, we signed a mediated partial agreement for visitation and custody. Now, Ex wants to change the agrrement and states that it's not a court order and is not filed with the courts. The problem I have is that we must return to court on Jan. 17th to dicuss chils support. Ex wants to have 6 months with two month old son and I have six months to avoid paying child support.

He states that if he has our son for six months out of the year, he can avoid the child support. Can a partial court order be changed that quick ? He states that he spoke to a lawyer and the lawyer said he don't have to pay and he will get custody of our 2 month old son for six months out of the year.

It's frustrating but I must know how this all works

Than you

Zephyr

What is the name of your state? GA

Happy New Year everyone!

Alright, Ex and I went to court on Dec. 13th, we signed a mediated partial agreement for visitation and custody. Now, Ex wants to change the agrrement and states that it's not a court order and is not filed with the courts. The problem I have is that we must return to court on Jan. 17th to dicuss chils support. Ex wants to have 6 months with two month old son and I have six months to avoid paying child support.

He states that if he has our son for six months out of the year, he can avoid the child support. Can a partial court order be changed that quick ? He states that he spoke to a lawyer and the lawyer said he don't have to pay and he will get custody of our 2 month old son for six months out of the year.

It's frustrating but I must know how this all works

Than you

I don't think you have to worry one bit about his plan being adopted- it's ridiculous...don't agree, let him take it to court

CJane

Yeah. Let HIM explain to the judge that 6mos away from EITHER parent is in ANY child's best interests... let alone an INFANT.

aleayh01

Ex also states that because we live 45 minutes to an hour away from each other , he'd like to have me drop off and pick up our son for visitations. However, that's not what we agreed on court. It's like he wants to change everything we agreed to three weeks ago in court. Can I disagree with ex and stick to original agreement if he take me back to court?

Zephyr

Ex also states that because we live 45 minutes to an hour away from each other , he'd like to have me drop off and pick up our son for visitations. However, that's not what we agreed on court. It's like he wants to change everything we agreed to three weeks ago in court. Can I disagree with ex and stick to original agreement if he take me back to court?
if he is not willing to follow the mediated agreement then you follow the most recent valid court order

aleayh01

Thanks guy for the response, I just want to know how quickly can a mediated agreement through the court be change or if it actually can be changed in such short time?:)

wileybunch

You don't have an order yet? Why not? It just hasn't been typed up/filed yet? It is your understanding it's a temporary order? Is he thinking you will each have son 6 months out of the year in 6 month blocks or some other type of alternating? For transportation, typical is it's shared (ie. receiving parent provides transportation), but if you have or will have a CO for something else, then it doesn't matter what others do.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Alright, Ex and I went to court on Dec. 13th, we signed a mediated partial agreement for visitation and custody.
I would go by what was signed until the court order arrives. He can appeal it once a court order arrives, but it won't look good. Do you have access to the tapes/transcripts if it was in front of a judge?

aleayh01

it's a mediated agreement and was intered as a partial court order because we have to return to court on Jan 11th for child support which is also part of the order. we went to mediation ordered by the court to come up with this agreement and once we both signed the agreement, it was then signed by the judge assigned to our case.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">