• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On the job injury, will my claim be accepted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pnw709

About 8 months ago I suffered an on the job injury, straining my back while carrying a very heavy load (about 250 pounds) with the assistance of two other coworkers. Upon doctor examinations they did an X-ray and saw I had an old fracture on my L5 but my claim was approved and written up as a lumbar strain. About a week ago, in a similar instance, I strained my back lifting another very large load (~400 pounds) again with assistance of three other coworkers. The next day I went to the doctor due to my back pain and was given an mri and they saw I had spondylolythesis which is a congenital issue in the lower spine that I have probably had since birth. I’ve been off almost two weeks now and am beginning physical therapy and have yet to hear from my adjuster whether I will be covered or not. Looking for any input on what people may think on whether my claim will be accepted. Thanks for any advice!

quincy

About 8 months ago I suffered an on the job injury, straining my back while carrying a very heavy load (about 250 pounds) with the assistance of two other coworkers. Upon doctor examinations they did an X-ray and saw I had an old fracture on my L5 but my claim was approved and written up as a lumbar strain. About a week ago, in a similar instance, I strained my back lifting another very large load (~400 pounds) again with assistance of three other coworkers. The next day I went to the doctor due to my back pain and was given an mri and they saw I had spondylolythesis which is a congenital issue in the lower spine that I have probably had since birth. I’ve been off almost two weeks now and am beginning physical therapy and have yet to hear from my adjuster whether I will be covered or not. Looking for any input on what people may think on whether my claim will be accepted. Thanks for any advice!
Was your previous workers compensation claim closed?

Did you file your current claim based on aggravating an existing condition?

Here is an Oregon Workers Compensation Flow Chart:
https://wcd.oregon.gov/WCDForms/2235.pdf

pnw709

It was an approved claim, and I was deemed medically stationary and after about a month of light duty returned to full service. I was unsure of whether or not this latest incident was the exact same injury or whether it was a pulled muscle, injured disc, etc. so I filed it as ‘unknown’ as to whether or not it was an existing injury. In my mind, in any case, the reason I suffered back pain and ended up in urgent care was a direct result of me assisting in lifting 400 pounds at work. I guess I’m just stressing because I haven’t heard either way yet, and am missing time at work and (possibly) pay.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Any question that starts with the word, Will, and which is asking us to anticipate something that hasn't happened yet, has only one answer. Here's a somewhat lighthearted way of expressing the only truly accurate answer we can give you at this time:

The crystal ball is out for cleaning; the Magic 8 Ball is broken, and Madame Zuleika is on vacation. Guess we'll all find out what WILL happen at the same time.

I'm not making light of your stress, truly. Hoping to make you smile a bit, yes. But we can't know what WILL happen in future any better than you can.

quincy

It was an approved claim, and I was deemed medically stationary and after about a month of light duty returned to full service. I was unsure of whether or not this latest incident was the exact same injury or whether it was a pulled muscle, injured disc, etc. so I filed it as ‘unknown’ as to whether or not it was an existing injury. In my mind, in any case, the reason I suffered back pain and ended up in urgent care was a direct result of me assisting in lifting 400 pounds at work. I guess I’m just stressing because I haven’t heard either way yet, and am missing time at work and (possibly) pay.
I can understand your concerns but there is little we can tell you that will alleviate your stress. You will have to wait to see what is made of your claim.

Did any of your coworkers suffer a similar injury?

pnw709

I understand nobody can tell me what my adjuster is going to think about the situation. I guess I was just wondering in generalities if my claim has solid footing for being an approved on the job injury. Without getting into too much detail, none of my coworkers suffered an injury but I was in the most compromised position. We were moving a very large person back into bed and I ended up having to stand on the mattress itself while assisting in maneuvering the person back into position.

quincy

I understand nobody can tell me what my adjuster is going to think about the situation. I guess I was just wondering in generalities if my claim has solid footing for being an approved on the job injury. Without getting into too much detail, none of my coworkers suffered an injury but I was in the most compromised position. We were moving a very large person back into bed and I ended up having to stand on the mattress itself while assisting in maneuvering the person back into position.
400 pounds?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">