• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Once you reach the age of Majority can you Disown your parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Senior Member
JRamos123 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? New York State.
I don't really understand what you mean when you say "disown", but yes, it is possible. When you reach the age of majority you simply move out, never speak to them again, never ask or recieve anything from them again, go on with your life and pretend that they don't exist.

However, if you LEGALLY owe them any money, you'll have to pay the debt, or face the LEGAL consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential