• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

one last question about child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

feasterville

What is the name of your state? maine

my ex's lawyer wanted my past 5 years worth of taxes why? isn't what i put on my child support paper enough?

my wife doens't want to give him those papers cause it's got her info on it, he says if i don't he will ask the court to impose legals fees on my behalf..

But i found a social securtiy statement that is the same exact info as my tax form just without my wife's info.

Are the going to consider my wife's income when doing child support?

WyattJ

If you owe back CS....you might want to start filing separte on your income taxes with your current wife.

F

feasterville

I'm always up to date on my child support never been a penny behind in 5 years...will they still consider my wife's income?

haiku

they are looking to see a pattern of earnings.

(though past 3 years should be more than sufficient.)

When this was done with my husband, I just blacked out my SS # and I did not provide any of my pertinent info. this created some waves but i and my husbands lawyer put down our collective foot.

your wife is not a party to the case, and no, barring huge extenuating circumstance her income will never be considered for support purposes, just your income itself.

some states will ask for household income, does not mean they will ever use it.

Last edited:
J

jez51

Your wife's income cannot be used in figuring your CS. You can black out all of your wife's information on the tax returns before you give them to the attorney.

F

feasterville

i guess why i don't understand why her lawyer needs this information? Why?

And how can I request to see her past five years worth of tax returns? LIke they did to me.

I don't have a lawyer so i'm trying to wing this on my own, can afford one, but i make to much money for a low income one.

haiku

the lawyer is trying to see whether or not your income has fluctuated, whether or not you have jumped from, for example a high paying job to a no-paying job.

Yes, you have every right to ask of your ex what she is asking of you.

Honestly, you NEED a lawyer. from the sounds of your other posts you are likely going to be looking at a train wreck.

You are in Maine, I can virtually gaurantee you could at least get an hours consult with a lawyer, for 250 (and thats max) or under, maybe even free.

F

feasterville

but what does it matter if my income goes up or down, what effect will this have on the court with me child support are they going to raise it higher then normal.....

cause one year i got a promotion of 4 dollars an hour so of course my income went up but since then i get 15 cents an hour, i've had the same job for 11 years now.

can afford 250.00 didn't have 40.00 to buy grocies with this week....that's how come i am here asking for free legal advice!!!!

J

jez51

Your CS can be reviewed every 2-3yrs, if your income has gone up significantly then yes your CS amount can be raised.
You keep saying you "Can Afford" an attorney, and now not groceries. Is that a typo? If you don't get an attorney to help you with this, then you maynot have rent money much less grocery money!

F

feasterville

Yes I did mean I CANNOT afford a lawyer.......

I've being fighting to see my kids for 5 years without a lawyer and won every case. Judge isn't stupid he sees what is going on
He even said once to her to stop trying so hard to get revenge and think of the childrens best interest.

I guess i just wanta know are they going to base my income on what I am making "now" or what they think i might make because of what my tax papers say.

S

sweetaklady

Good luck. We live in Alaska and just went through this with my husbands ex. She didn't have an attorney and we did. We still lost. My husband works two weeks away from home and then he is home for two weeks. He had worked some three week periods since they were in the midst of finding another worker. The judge took into account my husband working the three weeks and based our child support on it. Even though my husbands normal schedule was two weeks the judge said that he could always get the extra week. My step daughter is 16 and works. (has a nicer vehicle than we can afford) and we have five children at home. None of that was considered and we now pay 1100.00 a month to his ex that owns half of Anchorage and doesn't work. She is married to his best friend who she had an affair with and ended their marriage. Now we are in small claims court for braces that the daughter had on 4 years ago. We are just now getting hit with the 2500.00 bill since we fought her on child support. It is her way of being vindictive. I would say to get an attorney but that doens't mean you will win. We have decided not to appeal since the attorney will cost as much as us paying her the extra money. We hoping it will go to the daughter and her support. This was a long and stressful fight for our whole family and this is going to be tough financially on us since we do not make the amount of money child support thinks we do. But we will come through poor or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">