• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One LifeLine left...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elizabeth999

I was involved in an auto accident, in Florida -the other party was 100% at Fault

After the accident happened, I had to purchase another car, because the defendant totalled mine. I purchased a 1999 Dodge Neon, mostly due to the low price and mileage (I commute 45 miles to work every day). The insurance company has stated that if I had purchased another 1992 Dodge (my totaled car) with over 100k miles on it, that I would not be saddled with car payments right now. The car payments are being “figured” into the settlement amount but I have a feeling that the insurance company will shoot that down. Can anyone think of a good rebuttal to the Insurance Company or do I just need to take my lumps?

yes, I do have a personal injury lawyer - but I was just curious what you guys thought...

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizabeth999:
I was involved in an auto accident, in Florida -the other party was 100% at Fault

After the accident happened, I had to purchase another car, because the defendant totalled mine. I purchased a 1999 Dodge Neon, mostly due to the low price and mileage (I commute 45 miles to work every day). The insurance company has stated that if I had purchased another 1992 Dodge (my totaled car) with over 100k miles on it, that I would not be saddled with car payments right now. The car payments are being “figured” into the settlement amount but I have a feeling that the insurance company will shoot that down. Can anyone think of a good rebuttal to the Insurance Company or do I just need to take my lumps?

yes, I do have a personal injury lawyer - but I was just curious what you guys thought...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your car was totalled, the insurance company must pay you the replacement cost of your vehicle ( Blue book or other acceptable book value) period. Your buying another car with high payments should not be figured into your settlement. You are not required to buy a like kind of automobile with similar year and mileage as a replacement.

E

Elizabeth999

But the defendant placed me into the stressful,time-consuming and frustrating position of having to look for another car,
and that SHOULD be factored into the settlement!!!!!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizabeth999:
But the defendant placed me into the stressful,time-consuming and frustrating position of having to look for another car,
and that SHOULD be factored into the settlement!!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you are right. Factor in about $50K so you can buy a Lexus SUV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">