• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online Advertising Misprint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlcoryell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I have a question about receiving discounted cable TV services because of an online "misprint." A year ago, I noticed that my cable company offered a "teaser" rate for a cable TV package on its consumer website, but inadvertently also listed the same teaser price as its "ongoing" price--the price you would normally pay after the teaser expired. I questioned the company customer service rep over the phone, asking if I was entitled to the posted (though erroneous) rate, and he eventually said that the company was indeed legally obligated to honor the lower price that was posted, even though it was an error. I signed up and received the service for a number of months at the low price. Months later, though, my bill showed an increase to the "full" rate for the services. I called the same rep back, reminded him of my special circumstance, and he restored the price and credited my account. Several more months later, however, the same thing occurred again. This time, though, the cable company said that it was not obligated to honor the online misprint, even though it had made the promise to do so twice before. Many more months of arguing (politely) with the cable company has ensued. My pointed question, therefore, is: Must the cable company honor the "misprint" price on its website from a year ago, especially as I placed my order with a rep (not via the online portal) and the company agreed to honor the price twice when I inquired? Many thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read the fine print on the web site. They are not responsible for typographical errors.
Congratulations for convincing them to discount your service for a period of time. There was no legal requirement that they do so.

ariastar

Well, twice reps did tell the OP that they'd honor the rate. While they may not be legally obligated to honor typographical errors, they told him/her that he/she WOULD receive the service at that rate. Would this not be seen as ratifying the price at the misprinted price?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's called customer service. It doesn't impose a legal requirement to provide the service at that rate forever...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">