• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open new bank acct after discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

badgurl55

What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON

This week my chapter 7 should be discharged. At the beginning of this my Credit Union cut off my services until I took care of my car loan and Visa acct. as I only retained and did not reaffirm. After this is said and done discharged, will it be safe to open another acct with a different credit union and how soon after will my $$ be safe from creditors or any other vultures ?

Ladynred

Your money is safe NOW, no creditor can come after you for a discharged debt and likely cannot even if you forgot to include them in your filing.

Credit unions have some advantages, but from what I"ve seen of their tactics in thwarting people who file bankruptcy, I'd stay away from them - unless you can make sure you do NOT agree to any cross-collateralization verbage in your account agreements. They use these to entangle assets that would ordinarly be free and clear. Be careful.

B

badgurl55

So ... in other words, maybe find a bank rather than a Credit Union ? Any suggestions on a bank ?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

Ideally, you should have moved your checking & saving accounts to a bank BEFORE filing your bankruptcy petition. Your lawyer could have advised you of this. Once you file bankruptcy, most banks will not touch you, even for a checking account, not sure about savings though.

B

badgurl55

So much for Pro Se .......... eh ? I guess I didn't look as far into it as I should have.

Ladynred

As long as you didn't stiff a bank in BK, I don't believe that getting a new account with be all that big a problem. They could give you grief over a debit card though - they will pull a credit report for those - even though its not REALLY credit.

CU's are not all bad, my input was merely to be careful in your choices - read the fine print of ANYTHING they push at you to sign.

B

bgate

When opening a new acct at a bank, most use what is called 'chex systems' or some type of program where they can obtain info on any previous accts held, in which a prior bank could have reported you on. If you're reported on there, it is typically for overdrafts not paid, acct fraud, etc... Bankruptcy should NOT affect you from opening a chk/sav acct anywhere. Now applying for credit cards or even possibly a debit card...that will be a different story, as they will pull your credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">