• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opinions on car dealership taking 18 days to change clutch, and could they have damaged my alternator?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KMMPharm.D

What is the name of your state?Utah
As I was driving my Dodge Challenger Hellcat on the freeway, I noticed that while in 6th gear, my highly responsive car was not quite as responsive while pushing down on the gas pedal. The Rpm's were shooting up much more than normal in order for my car to accelerate. I pulled off the freeway when I noticed smoke from the exhaust, and underneath the hood. I allowed time enough for the car to stop smoking until I started the engine again. Once started, I pushed down on the clutch, and it was very loose. I made an attempt to move forward in first gear, and in order to get the car moving, the Rpm's were near the red line, so I turned the car off, started it again, and it would not move...this time the clutch was clearly so loose that I knew it was needing to be replaced. The dealership had to replace the clutch plate, flywheel and one other part along with the clutch. I was paying out of pocket, but for some reason a representative informed me they needed some authorization for the parts?? The time just to receive the parts took 9 days!! Then an additional 9 days to have everything finished? My son went to get my car, and it would not start. The next day I went to get the car, and it started fine. After driving around 30 miles on the freeway, I stopped to grab a bite to eat. I started the car, drove a few miles, came to a stop light, and the car lost all electrical power. It was necessary to tow the car to another dealership, and after 5 days I was finally told the alternator needed to be replaced. Previous to this I had never had any issues with the car starting or any electrical issues.
Besides the, in my opinion, very excessive amount of time to order the parts and have my car ready, I tend to think that the first dealership somehow ruined my alternator. I live in another state, and was very specific when telling the dealership I needed to be back by October 10th. It is now October 26th, and I would like some insight on just what someone much more mechanically inclined than myself thinks? Before I hand over another slightly more than $1,000 dollars, I am going to educate myself, and rule out this very odd timing of my alternator needing to be replaced. Somehow I am not convinced this is a normal amount of time to have my problems fixed, and the alternator suddenly needing to be replaced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When an alternator fails, it usually fails after some finite period of working fine. That's how it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">