• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OPM overpayment because of SSDI payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpyL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was medically retired from the Gov in Nov of 2010. 6 months after I started to receive SSDI. In June 2012 OPM gave me a letter stating that I owe a little over $55k in overpayments. They stated that it is no fault of mine but I still have to pay back the over payment.

I have a few questions.

1. If I can show a hardship can that debt be forgiven?

2. In my negations with OPM, the OPM rep stated that MSPB by law can not dismiss the overpayment because I was being paid SSDI funs. Is this true and if not is the GOV allowed to lie to me? (I have a recording of her telling me this) I spoke to a paralegal from MSPB and they stated that is not true that she was using it as a negotiation tactic. I would like to confirm/deny this please.

3. Years ago when I had to think about bankruptcy I spoke to a lawyer and he looked into this huge book and it stated that any income that is due to terrorist activity can not be used against a person in bankruptcy. All of my income is due to me being disabled due to a terrorist act. Would this also apply to this situation?

Thank you in advance.

swalsh411

I really think your multiple issues are well beyond the scope of what the forum volunteers (most of whom are not attorneys) will be able to provide. You should seek out an attorney.

OHRoadwarrior

There are laws regarding the receipt of money as a gov't employee and under SS at the same time. You need to determine overpayment and present records, then pay back the money you were overpaid. Bankruptcy will not usually discharge Federal debts.

Homeowner in pA

There are laws regarding the receipt of money as a gov't employee and under SS at the same time. You need to determine overpayment and present records, then pay back the money you were overpaid. Bankruptcy will not usually discharge Federal debts.
You sound like a typical government bureaucrat with no solutions. A better answer would include suggesting something like filing a hardship response/claim.

Part of the problem? Or part of the solution?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You sound like a typical government bureaucrat with no solutions. A better answer would include suggesting something like filing a hardship response/claim.

Part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
You're hijacking/necroposting to an old thread. Please start your own thread if you have a legal question. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">