• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opposing attorney threatening garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilwelder

Opposing attorney threatening garnishment- but I'm paying

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I tried suing a former business partner, because he had promised me wages while starting a new company. I lost because he had me sign an LLC document that erased any previous agreements. His lawyer sought her fees and court costs. Mine did as well, but the defendant was awarded court costs of $213.00. I've been paying by check twice a month. The amounts are not large, but it's what I can honestly afford right now (having been working for him uncompensated for 6+ months). Anyways - she has sent me a letter returning several of my checks telling me I need to rewrite her a check for the combined amount, and that she suggests I pay off the debt in full or she will proceed with wage garnishment. I've sinced asked my lawyer to remove himself from my case, and it ended on bad terms - due to a circumstance that related to this whole mess that he felt was not his fault.
Is this legal? Can she garnish my wages if I'm making an attempt to pay this off? What happens if she keeps sending my checks back to me?

Any help would be wonderful.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

cosine

I tried suing a former business partner, because he had promised me wages while starting a new company. I lost because he had me sign an LLC document that erased any previous agreements. His lawyer sought her fees and court costs. Mine did as well, but the defendant was awarded court costs of $213.00. I've been paying by check twice a month. The amounts are not large, but it's what I can honestly afford right now (having been working for him uncompensated for 6+ months). Anyways - she has sent me a letter returning several of my checks telling me I need to rewrite her a check for the combined amount, and that she suggests I pay off the debt in full or she will proceed with wage garnishment. I've sinced asked my lawyer to remove himself from my case, and it ended on bad terms - due to a circumstance that related to this whole mess that he felt was not his fault.
Is this legal? Can she garnish my wages if I'm making an attempt to pay this off? What happens if she keeps sending my checks back to me?

Did the bank refuse to pay on the checks?

lilwelder

No, the lawyer did not even try to cash the checks. I believe she is trying to get me to pay the entire thing off at once, or she is trying to avoid my payments and going to garnish my wages.

Antigone*

If you have a judgement against you, the judgement creditor does not have to take payments.

How many checks (and what amount) were sent back to you? How much do you owe in total?

Antigone*

Now it's YOUR turn to be asked to cite statute and/or case law applicable.
Your postings normally border on the idiotic and I WILL NOT comply with one of your requests. I could be wrong as hell and your opinion wouldn't matter on red cent.

Now if another senior member here points me in the right direction, I will give respect when respect is due.

You want to see case law...find it yourself

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">