• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opposing counsel is lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have no idea. In fact, I am surprised any judge would express to you any such interest.
This is a settlement mediation in front of a magistrate. The value of a case, based on awards in other similar cases, is relevant and will facilitate mediation as a starting point. If the judge doesn't understand why I think my case is worth xxx amount or why defendant thinks the case is worth xxx amount, how do you expect that he can successfully mediate? He can't thus his interest in the amount.

quincy

I find it odd that any judge would express to you an interest in amounts awarded in other unrelated cases, especially amounts awarded in sealed settlements.

I find it odd that any judge would express to you an interest in amounts awarded in other unrelated cases, especially amounts awarded in sealed settlements.
He didn't. He specifically asked for related cases.

I brought up the fact that sealed settlements, based on my reading of articles written by other attorneys no less, make it harder to determine the value of some cases.

It might be helpful for you to know that my case is a personal injury case.

Also edited this to add that I never once mentioned anything about unrelated cases, in fact I specifically mentioned similar cases.

What would you all consider the standard time frame for acknowledging an email from opposing counsel without responding in full? Twenty three hours or less is standard in business, not sure how that applies to the legal business.

Thanks!

quincy

What would you all consider the standard time frame for acknowledging an email from opposing counsel without responding in full? Twenty three hours or less is standard in business, not sure how that applies to the legal business.

Thanks!
It depends on to what you are responding. Some emails require no response.

PayrollHRGuy

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that there are 24 hours in a day. Even for lawyers. Though they may bill for 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">