• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opt-Out of Union Health Plan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petec

I am a member of SMWIA LU#38 in Brewster NY. Our wage allocation for the current year (we have a 10yr collective barganing agreement/contract) rasied our hourly contribution to the Health Fund to $10.20 (yes, hourly)

This works out to over $20,000 a year . . . or about 1/3 of the avg (2000hr) years income.

I did some research and can buy comparable family coverage for about $1000 a month . . . around 40% less.

My question is if there is any legal way to Opt-Out of my Unions plan?

. . . without quitting my job . . .

Thanks

Pete C

mlane58

No one here can possibly give you an answer. We have no idea what language is in your collective bargaining agreement. You need to ask your shop steward or your buisness agent.

petec

thanks for the prompt reply . . . but my shop steward would just call the business agent, and he would, of course, give the Union 'line' . . .

. . . but I'll give it a try . . .

I love my f###ing union, because my union loves f###ing me !!!

manderson3

Opt out of Union Ins.

Petec

I understand that $10.20 of your wage package goes to insurance. Is your insurance at $10.20 now? Or does it go to $10.20 over the term of the 10 year agreement? What is the total wage package? Are you gaurenteed to work 2,000 hours per year? If so, you are correct in the fact you will be paying $20,400.00 a year into the fund.

If work were to slow down to 1,000 hours per year (hopefully not) would your benifit be paid for the entire year even though your contribution would have only been $10,200.00? Does the health and welfare benefit you have now also cover dental, life, or any disibility protection?

Does the family coverage for $1,000.00 cover health only? And is it going to cost you $1,000.00 from now on? Will you still have to pay the $1,000.00 even if your on the bench and not working?

These are some things you need to find out. mlane58 is right. Every CBA is different. I respect that you have to do what's best for you and your family. And even if you do just get the "union line" at least as you say give it a try. Then decide. Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">