• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opting out of health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan76eb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My wife is a teacher in a district that just merged with 3 others into a larger one this year. For the past 8 years she has always been covered under my medical, dental, and vision since it has always been cheaper. Since she never took the health benefits from her district they would pay her an extra $100 a month.

With this new district merger it sounds like she will be forced to take medical benefits at a cost of over $450 per month even though she is covered under mine. Is it legal to force benefits on someone and make them pay when they are already getting coverage somewhere else?

dan76eb

Well there is no contract as of yet as the district is still working it out. Sounds like they hope to have it out for a vote sometime in the fall.

Beth3

Then, yes, it's legal, assuming the group health plan document requires mandatory participation by every eligible employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">