• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

options againt landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i was wondering if there is anything i can do concerning not being notified of a child molester living in our trailer park. the landlord said he did a backgroud check and found nothing. but after the gutin guestion approached my dauther. an i called the police they said he had a long line of past history of this offense. what are my options against the landlord for not notifing the resednts. dallas,tx




I found no statutes omposing a duty on L to notify potential tenants of a sex offender in the neighborhood. Presumably the guy is now in jail on a parole violation. If you want to leave, you could sue L to have the lease declared void for "fraud in the inducement" - you asked L if he checked criminal backgrounds & he said he did, but he doesn't. If you'd known he rented to a registered sex offender, you wouldn't have rented from him. The continuing harm is because you don't know who else L failed to check. I don't think much of your chances, though. Next time, call the cops yourself & ask them what the crime rate's like & if there are any sex offenders in the area.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential