• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options for emergency custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmthoj

Because I didn't have an attorney to tell me I could do that and I went through every step the "Responding to Non Parental Custody Petition" said to do. There was nothing on there about a counter petition for custody. I did it Pro Se because I haven't been able to afford an attorney and I didnt even find out about the case until just before the adequate cause hearing because she was trying to deceive the courts that she had tried to contact me for service and she never did. I had very little time after I found out and I being an average citizen was under the impression that if they denied her non parental custody he would be returned to me and the judge wrote that on the dismissal but apparently that's not enough for the cops to get involved. I literally feel hopeless and like noone has given a rats ass about my son. Now he is mia and I have no clue where he is.

TigerD

Because I didn't have an attorney ..... I did it Pro Se because ......
You need an attorney. You are not capable of doing this yourself.

Please other people understand this: Pro Se is Latin. There are two translations in English and "I'm going to lose badly" is the other one. You would not perform surgery on yourself. You won't debug your car's computer yourself. Hell, most of you can't make your own dinner without step-by-step instruction -- usually starting with call Pizza Hut.

Stop trying to be your own lawyers for serious issues. I get it. Really I do. I have a wood shop in my garage where I turn perfectly good boards into sawdust and scraps. I have computer I built once, by buying three times the value in parts. And I even replaced a ball joint once (It took three days and fair amount of time on YouTube.). But custody is too damn important or should be to be a do it yourself thing.

If you can't afford a lawyer see the local legal aid or public defender. Hell call around until you find an attorney willing to case for free (it may take quite a few calls).

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">