• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options for Extended Visit to Japan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoeBoris

My girlfriend of 8 months is a Japanese national and I'm a US national. We're planning for me to visit her and stay in Japan for a year. My question is what are my visa options and how realistic is my fallback plan?

I'm a full-time freelance computer programming tutor with 90% of an associates degree in Software Engineering from a local college. I work remotely, so I plan to continue while in Japan. In my research, my only visa option I've found is the skilled labor visa. However, I doubt I could find a sponsor for a programming or teaching job considering my lack of qualifications.

My fallback plan is to just visit for 90 days, then take week-long vacations to somewhere close like Korea, then repeat 3 times (for a year total). Is that technically against the rules? How likely am I to get away with leaving and coming back 3 times? If they don't like it, would they refuse to let me out of the airport when I arrive? If so, is that legal for them to do, and can I appeal/sway that decision somehow?

LdiJ

My girlfriend of 8 months is a Japanese national and I'm a US national. We're planning for me to visit her and stay in Japan for a year. My question is what are my visa options and how realistic is my fallback plan?

I'm a full-time freelance computer programming tutor with 90% of an associates degree in Software Engineering from a local college. I work remotely, so I plan to continue while in Japan. In my research, my only visa option I've found is the skilled labor visa. However, I doubt I could find a sponsor for a programming or teaching job considering my lack of qualifications.

My fallback plan is to just visit for 90 days, then take week-long vacations to somewhere close like Korea, then repeat 3 times (for a year total). Is that technically against the rules? How likely am I to get away with leaving and coming back 3 times? If they don't like it, would they refuse to let me out of the airport when I arrive? If so, is that legal for them to do, and can I appeal/sway that decision somehow?
I do not think that we have anyone here who is familiar with Japanese immigration law.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This is not a US law issue. We really only deal with US law here.

You'd be better off visiting a Japanese consulate and speaking to someone there.

xylene

What you are seeking is not unique. Look for help in Asian-American communities in large US cities.

You are trying to somewhat skirt a law in a country with a very legalistic culture and law system.

"Is it ok to visa-stack?" Yeah, that probably should NOT be you lead-in when talking to a consulate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">