• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Order of Protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Can a person who has an order of protection against them-- but it has not been served --are they allowed to leave the state? and

how does it affect their status as far as employment etc

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless the order of protection is protecting someone the person works with, there's no reason it should affect their employment status at all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't offer you a 100% guarantee that it won't show up in a background check, but unless the check is more thorough than most checks or is for some kind of law enforcement or security position, it's unlikely.

Please note that background checks are conducted at the end of the hiring process, not the beginning. If the person in question is not being called for interviews, it is about 100% certain that it has nothing to do with the fact that they have an order of protection against them.

I can't offer you a 100% guarantee that it won't show up in a background check, but unless the check is more thorough than most checks or is for some kind of law enforcement or security position, it's unlikely.

Please note that background checks are conducted at the end of the hiring process, not the beginning. If the person in question is not being called for interviews, it is about 100% certain that it has nothing to do with the fact that they have an order of protection against them.
Thank you - That is what I thought as well. And there is no criminal history also from what I understand.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
1) I do not think that anyone will much care whether either party moves out of state, so long as one is not stalking the other. It is easier to abide by the terms of an order of protection when the two parties are in different states. (My ex moved out of state to my hometown - he had no ties to the area, not even a job, and no plausibly innocent reason for doing so - it looked like he was stalking my relatives.)

2) How it might affect their employment status would depend on their choice of employment. There are some jobs where such a thing would be in issue, if known. For example: teachers. I do not know if this would show up on a background check. (It depends on whether it is a civil or criminal protective order, and how thorough the search.)

1) I do not think that anyone will much care whether either party moves out of state, so long as one is not stalking the other. It is easier to abide by the terms of an order of protection when the two parties are in different states. (My ex moved out of state to my hometown - he had no ties to the area, not even a job, and no plausibly innocent reason for doing so - it looked like he was stalking my relatives.)

2) How it might affect their employment status would depend on their choice of employment. There are some jobs where such a thing would be in issue, if known. For example: teachers. I do not know if this would show up on a background check. (It depends on whether it is a civil or criminal protective order, and how thorough the search.)
1-I would agree. I am being told that she cannot leave the state because of it.
2-That is what I have understood as well.

Thank you.

Sponsored Ad