• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Order of referral to hearing officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miamiparis

What is the name of your state? Florida
I paid a lawyer for the divorce, having drug and alcohol tests done to my ex-wife, finalizing time sharing.
I stopped paying a lawyer for the remaining issue: child support, because it's too expensive for me.
Last January, I received a letter titled "Order of referral to hearing officer".
In the letter, it says "Financial affidavits shall be filed". My ex-lawyer filed it 1 year and half ago, then he calculated child support and back child support, but the lawyer of my ex refused the amount.
At the end of the letter, it says "A motion for continuance of a hearing which is set before the hearing officer shall be set before the hearing office".
Is this referral to hearing officer a good thing for me? Do I need to file a motion of continuance of a hearing?
Since we separated 5 years and half ago, my ex-wife only gave me a total of $2800. No amount of child support has still be determined. I'm the custodial parent, my ex lives in another state and she has my kids only for vacations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">