• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Order to Intervene??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IndianaHelp

What is the name of your state? Indiana, Hamilton County

So, in March, I lost my job due to the recent pandemic. I filed for state benefits, which automatically enrolled me in Health insurance, but also automatically applied for SNAP and TANF assistance.

Approved in March, and everything was going smoothly (of note, I have acquired new employment, and these benefits are discontinued as of 7/1), until about a week and a half ago when I received a letter of notice from the Hamilton County Prosecutors office. It says: "Part of our job is to establish an/or enforce child support orders for all people who are receiving State Welfare/TANF benefits." etc.... They also said if you do not have a court order for child support, we will need a copy of the children's birth certificates, etc.... within the next 14 days (I received this letter dated 5/19 on 5/31). I immediately called saying there was no order in place and we didn't wish to have one, to no response, then today I get this Order to Intervene filed on 6/5 and in hearing on 6/8 (today).

Basically, to make a long story short, we have never had a child support agreement. We have a mutual sharing of all childcare costs above and beyond day to day living expenses, and there has never been an issue. I need to know what is happening, and what recourse I have to stop whatever is happening. Everything has been fine for us for almost ten years, and now this just popped up, and may put undue stress on us.

Of Note: My ex also applied for benefits years back, and this was never an issue. Is this a man vs. woman thing? Because she makes more money than I do, and if the courts want to pursue it, she would be paying ME child support, which I do not want.

Thanks in advance.

PayrollHRGuy

If the state gives you money or services for your child they have the right to get at least some of it back from the father of your child. If you give all of the money you have received from the state back they may be willing to drop the whole matter.

IndianaHelp

If the state gives you money or services for your child they have the right to get at least some of it back from the father of your child. If you give all of the money you have received from the state back they may be willing to drop the whole matter.
I am the father..... and they are filing on my behalf......

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Psstt - OP is the father.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So the question remains, she had similar benefits a few years ago, and this never came up. Why is it NOW coming up?
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

ETA: Perhaps the state has improved their systems that allow them to track this sort of thing. There's no way we can give any sort of answer to your question, so, while it does remain, it is rhetorical insofar as this forum is concerned.

IndianaHelp

Actually, from my research, once approved, unless OVERPAID by accident, you cannot be asked to repay SNAP or TANF

IndianaHelp

Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

ETA: Perhaps the state has improved their systems that allow them to track this sort of thing. There's no way we can give any sort of answer to your question, so, while it does remain, it is rhetorical insofar as this forum is concerned.
This isn't about getting out of paying child support, like I said, she makes more than I do, and the worksheets would show her owing ME. Hence, the intervention on MY behalf. I support my children on a daily basis, and we have been splitting expenses since our divorce with no issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">