• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Order to Intervene??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This isn't about getting out of paying child support, like I said, she makes more than I do, and the worksheets would show her owing ME. Hence, the intervention on MY behalf. I support my children on a daily basis, and we have been splitting expenses since our divorce with no issues.
A condition of applying for benefits is for you to allow them to seek out the appropriate child support order from the other parent on your behalf. I understand that you have been "splitting expenses" with no issues, but your ex will soon have a child support order requiring her to pay money to reimburse the state for the benefits they are providing to your children.

The reasoning is that, if she were paying the appropriate amount of child support, you would have no (or less) need for the state to step in and provide benefits for the children.

IndianaHelp

A condition of applying for benefits is for you to allow them to seek out the appropriate child support order from the other parent on your behalf. I understand that you have been "splitting expenses" with no issues, but your ex will soon have a child support order requiring her to pay money to reimburse the state for the benefits they are providing to your children.

The reasoning is that, if she were paying the appropriate amount of child support, you would have no (or less) need for the state to step in and provide benefits for the children.
Even if there is no child support agreement? Even if the divorce decree states no child support?

IndianaHelp

Yes, even if. Child support is fluid and subject to change based on current conditions.
I thought that was only applicable in states where there is no waiver of support allowed, and even then the divorcing couple can request a waiver, and the decision is up to the court. I could be wrong here, but that's how I understood it.

A law firm in Indiana provided this information in 2017.
It is against public policy and contrary to Indiana Law for the court to approve any agreement eliminating child support based upon promises in other areas. For example, a mother cannot tell the biological father of a child that she will waive child support if he promises to stay away from the child. It is also not a good policy to promise additional assets in a divorce in exchange for eliminating or reducing support.
The way I read that is it's against policy and contrary to law IF a promise in other areas is made, but there are no limitations to the waiver possibility in the statutes for the state. So waiver may still be filed if there is no promise of other benefits. Am I reading that right?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why should the taxpayers of Indiana be required to provide aid for your child if a parent is deemed able to pay support? Even if you agreed not to seek CS?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I thought that was only applicable in states where there is no waiver of support allowed, and even then the divorcing couple can request a waiver, and the decision is up to the court. I could be wrong here, but that's how I understood it.

The way I read that is it's against policy and contrary to law IF a promise in other areas is made, but there are no limitations to the waiver possibility in the statutes for the state. So waiver may still be filed if there is no promise of other benefits. Am I reading that right?
Yes, you can waive child support, but that is never "permanent".

The fact that you are requesting public benefits shows that you cannot support the child without child support.

LdiJ

You needed SNAP, Medicaid and TANF to support your child while you were furloughed. The state automatically forces a child support order if there is none, if a parent is receiving those benefits. The child support goes to the state to reimburse the state for the benefits until those are paid off. You won't actually see any support yourself until the state is paid back for the benefits you received. Once you start receiving child support yourself you can always give it back to her each pay period.

IndianaHelp

Yes, you can waive child support, but that is never "permanent".

The fact that you are requesting public benefits shows that you cannot support the child without child support.
I requested insurance. For myself. The benefits were auto applied. Just saying. ON the phone with the prosecutors office right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">