• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ordered (Paid) Quantity Adjustments w/out Notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brad C.

I frequently order collectibles from an online storefront. The seller heavily adjusts the quantity I am to receive without notification after the items have been paid for, ships the reduced order, and refunds the missing items (but not shipping costs) several weeks later. At no time am I informed of this process until after I have opened the package and discover the reduction.

Example: I place an order for 20 copies of a card which is allowed by the store (the quantity desired is in-stock and has a limit of 20). I pay for this order, including shipping costs. The order is confirmed by the company. When I receive my package there are only 6 copies inside. I email the seller who replies that in their terms and conditions, they are allowed to adjust quantity ordered at any time for any reason. In particular, this order was adjusted because the seller felt that the items were, in hindsight, listed and sold for too low of a price. Sure enough, the items have been re-listed for a higher price. This is common practice in the collectibles market, and is not my main concern. When I was considering the purchase, I assumed that the shipping paid would be for 20 items, and therefore felt that cost was worth it for the product. If I had known that the order was only going to contain 6 items (therefore making shipping 1/3rd of the total cost), I would have re-evaluated the purchase. The storefront did not contact me to ask if I still wanted the order shipped, and gave no notification that it was adjusted. Now if I want to return the order I must pay for return shipping. This happens to many of my orders and I believe that this practice is unethical.

Is this a legal issue?

quincy

I frequently order collectibles from an online storefront. The seller heavily adjusts the quantity I am to receive without notification after the items have been paid for, ships the reduced order, and refunds the missing items (but not shipping costs) several weeks later. At no time am I informed of this process until after I have opened the package and discover the reduction.

Example: I place an order for 20 copies of a card which is allowed by the store (the quantity desired is in-stock and has a limit of 20). I pay for this order, including shipping costs. The order is confirmed by the company. When I receive my package there are only 6 copies inside. I email the seller who replies that in their terms and conditions, they are allowed to adjust quantity ordered at any time for any reason. In particular, this order was adjusted because the seller felt that the items were, in hindsight, listed and sold for too low of a price. Sure enough, the items have been re-listed for a higher price. This is common practice in the collectibles market, and is not my main concern. When I was considering the purchase, I assumed that the shipping paid would be for 20 items, and therefore felt that cost was worth it for the product. If I had known that the order was only going to contain 6 items (therefore making shipping 1/3rd of the total cost), I would have re-evaluated the purchase. The storefront did not contact me to ask if I still wanted the order shipped, and gave no notification that it was adjusted. Now if I want to return the order I must pay for return shipping. This happens to many of my orders and I believe that this practice is unethical.

Is this a legal issue?
What is the name of your state and where is the seller located?

Just Blue

Is this a legal issue?
Sorry U.S. Law only.

quincy

Sorry, I live in Michigan and the seller is headquartered in Florida.
Thank you for providing the state names.

How much of a difference is it in shipping costs (what you've paid compared to actual cost)?

When the seller later completes your order (when/if he does), does he take
care of the shipping costs?

Brad C.

The shipping charged does not change when the order is reduced. I pay 2.99 for shipping on the 20 items and only the cost of the 14 items removed (in this example) is refunded. This is the flat shipping amount charged by the seller for all card orders.

This is the amount that I end up paying:

When ordered: Cost of 20 items + 2.99 shipping
Now: Cost of 6 items + 2.99 shipping (cost of 14 items refunded)

quincy

The shipping charged does not change when the order is reduced. I pay 2.99 for shipping on the 20 items and only the cost of the 14 items removed (in this example) is refunded. This is the flat shipping amount charged by the seller for all card orders.

This is the amount that I end up paying:

When ordered: Cost of 20 items + 2.99 shipping
Now: Cost of 6 items + 2.99 shipping (cost of 14 items refunded)
Okay. So it is a standard shipping cost and you are not being charged extra.

Does the seller pay the 2.99 shipping if the rest of the order is later sent to you?

I am not seeing any legal action for you to pursue, by the way. You can purchase products elsewhere if you do not like the way this seller operates.

Brad C.

The rest of the order is not ever sent to me and is ostensibly sold to other customers for a higher price. The main issue I have is that I am not notified about the change in product amount until after the order is shipped or given the opportunity to cancel. If I had known that the order would be reduced then I would not have placed it, as paying 2.99 for shipping would not have been worth it for 6 cards rather than 20. Now IF the seller accepts a return on the items I must pay the return shipping.

quincy

The rest of the order is not ever sent to me and is ostensibly sold to other customers for a higher price. The main issue I have is that I am not notified about the change in product amount until after the order is shipped or given the opportunity to cancel. If I had known that the order would be reduced then I would not have placed it, as paying 2.99 for shipping would not have been worth it for 6 cards rather than 20. Now IF the seller accepts a return on the items I must pay the return shipping.
But you know the terms of sale and agreed to them when purchasing the goods, right? You know your order's quantity might be reduced and you have accepted that as one of the conditions.

I still do not see you have a legal action worth pursuing. Your recourse seems to be to find a different seller who offers better terms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">