• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon - Custody Laws ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kade

What is the name of your state?
Oregon

My brother is getting divorced. He married his college sweetheart. They have been married 15 years. They have two children, 14 and 9 yrs. She is in management position with a major co. He is a P.E. teacher. She makes twice what he makes. He was the primary caretaker, got the kids up for school, fed them did their hair, made their lunches, took them to school, they attended the same private school, where he taught. He brought them home, coached their sporting teams, made them supper, cleaned the house, put them to bed. His wife at one point worked an graveyard shift while she was making her way up the ladder, and thats when he took over these roles. She made all the decisions because "she made all the money". They had ceased speaking with each other. My brother would not say anything, because it was the easier situation to deal with, rather than have a 3 hour long screaming lecture commence.
He left her, and went to a friends house. He still maintained all the responsibilities , their for breakfast, until they were on their way to bed. After several months, he withdrew his $1700 a month, (automatic deposit) to find an apartment. She went crazy. got a temp. restaining order, siting fear of his kidnapping the children. she interferes with visitation... a nightmare, and now she is seeking sole custody.

Any advice? Help, his lawyer has been a dissapointment. Siting this is just temporary don't worry. It has been 7 months.

K

Kade

Grace...

Grace_Adler said:
Have the divorce proceedings started yet?

There is some really good info on www.divorcelaw.com and www.deltabravo.net. They have links to the statutes there too.
No the preceding have not begun, she (his wife) is being resistant. She was totally shocked that he was unhappy. ( for 10 years.) He tried to hold off until the kids were grown, but just could not.

Thanks for any help or thoughts that you might have. :)

Grace_Adler

I'm not really sure what to tell you because that RO is going to be a problem.

I suggest getting a good lawyer like you said, although it is possible for him to do it without one, but I personally wouldn't suggest it.

Anyone else have any experience with RO's and how that might stand in someone's way?

K

Kade

Thanks Grace

Grace_Adler said:
I'm not really sure what to tell you because that RO is going to be a problem.

I suggest getting a good lawyer like you said, although it is possible for him to do it without one, but I personally wouldn't suggest it.

Anyone else have any experience with RO's and how that might stand in someone's way?
If the R.O. was based on lies and she has nothing to back up her claims. (he doesn't even have a speeding ticket in his background.) Will the judge look up favorablly on him?
I guess we are feeling a discouraged and
feeling like "She" is pulling all the strings.
The youngest child has been put into daycare after school instead
of letting him pick her up from school. When she goes out of town
because of work, she leaves them with friends, rather than letting him keep them. She plans events and fun activities
on his weekends, so if he doesn't let them go, he's a jerk and mean.
She is angry because she has to split the assets with him fairly. She says that he deserves a third, because that was the percent of money he brought in.
Grace, it is just frustrating, because my brother is so worried for his children, that they aren't feeling abandoned and like they have to choose between their parents.
He is divorcing her, not them. But she is doing everything within her power to alienate him, and render him useless as a parent.
Sorry if this is a bit rambling. :(

Kade

Grace_Adler

That's ok, I understand that you guys must be very fustrated. I honestly don't know what can be done with this "block" so to speak. I think there are some people on here who have a little bit of knowledge about ROs and how they work, especially with divorce issues.

raddad has had one wall after another in his case, and still fighting. So, I'm pretty sure he can give you some helpful advice.

Just try to get him to at least consult with an attorney ASAP. I don't advise going pro se but maybe a lawyer could at least advise about that as well. Sometimes the bar association can refer you to attorneys where you can get a consult for a reduced fee.

K

Kade

Thanks for your imput.

I live across the country from my brother, and speak to him quite often. It just seems so unjust. \

He does have atty. but she has charged 5,000 and all that has been accomplished is the initial court filing.

He is ready for an atty. that will go after what is right...

Thanks
Kade

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">