• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Organ donor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nononsense

I want to be an organ donor. Is it legal/illegal to dictate, in my will, who can and cannot receive my organs? For example, I only want to donate within my own ethnic group or only to one gender?

Proserpina

I want to be an organ donor. Is it legal/illegal to dictate, in my will, who can and cannot receive my organs? For example, I only want to donate within my own ethnic group or only to one gender?
I suppose you can write what you want - it's not as if it can be enforced.

:cool:

quincy

Here is a link to the Department of Health and Human Services Organ Donation website:

http://www.organdonor.gov/about/index.html

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network's list does not reference race, gender, income or social status. The organs are matched on things like blood type and tissue type.

But, as Proserpina said, you can write in your will whatever you want to write in your will.

Just Blue

But what if there is no one on the Donor List of your ethnic group and of the sex you "will"? Should your viable organs go to waste and others die due to your "will"? :(

FlyingRon

But what if there is no one on the Donor List of your ethnic group and of the sex you "will"? Should your viable organs go to waste and others die due to your "will"? :(
Note that your WILL is not going to be consulted. There's a very small window when you die that the organs are useful. If you have organ donor checked on your driver's license or your next of kin agrees to it your organs will be harvested. I know of NO organization that will harvest them with any strings on what donors can receive them.

Dandy Don

Please keep your preference out of the will, as the will is only for disposition of assets.

A better choice would be for you to discuss this with the agency you submitted the organ donation form to, so that they will be assured of what your exact wishes are and you can find out now, before you die, if there are any complications in fulfilling your wishes.

Please answer the question of why you would want some ethnic groups to not receive the benefit of your organs to extend their life?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Please keep your preference out of the will, as the will is only for disposition of assets.

A better choice would be for you to discuss this with the agency you submitted the organ donation form to, so that they will be assured of what your exact wishes are and you can find out now, before you die, if there are any complications in fulfilling your wishes.

Please answer the question of why you would want some ethnic groups to not receive the benefit of your organs to extend their life?

Don, have you ever dealt with the transplant system in the US?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No I have not. Could you please explain the reason for your comment?
Because you cannot direct "donations" of organs to a specific ethnicity or gender at death. That is NOT how this works. It goes to the highest person on the transplant list WHO matches. If you do a live donation, then you may be able to direct it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Furthermore, in addition to what OG stated, the will is NOT the place to request that your organs be donated.

As FlyingRon has already told you, there is a very narrow window of time the doctors have where organs are usable for transplants.

Depending on your ethnicity and genetics, it may be that your organs are a best match for someone with the same ethnicity anyhow. If your concern is that you are a member of a minority group that statistically is less likely to donate, realize that your willingness to donate will have a positive cascading effect in your community, regardless of who receives it.

The important thing is to make it clear to those who will be in a position to make these decisions your desire to be an organ donor. If you have a driver's license, indicate it on the license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">