• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Orthodontic billing practices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pittman5

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

My daughter started her case at an orthodontist approx. 18 months ago. I had paid all but $310.00 of the 4100.00 bill on monthly payments. Our family had to relocate to Kentucky. The orthodontist referred me to an orthodontist in Bowling Green to "finish the case". He told me he felt she would just need to be "debanded" and have retainers. He also stated that I should not pay the remaining $310.00 because that would be the cost of debanding and retainers. The orthodontist in Bowling Green says she needs 3-4 more adjustments at 160.00 each, debanding and retainers at 350.00 and records at 160.00. The orthodontist in AZ refuses to reimburse some of the money I have already paid to him to finish this case. Is this practice legal? Nancy

barry1817

ortho billing

pittman5 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

My daughter started her case at an orthodontist approx. 18 months ago. I had paid all but $310.00 of the 4100.00 bill on monthly payments. Our family had to relocate to Kentucky. The orthodontist referred me to an orthodontist in Bowling Green to "finish the case". He told me he felt she would just need to be "debanded" and have retainers. He also stated that I should not pay the remaining $310.00 because that would be the cost of debanding and retainers. The orthodontist in Bowling Green says she needs 3-4 more adjustments at 160.00 each, debanding and retainers at 350.00 and records at 160.00. The orthodontist in AZ refuses to reimburse some of the money I have already paid to him to finish this case. Is this practice legal? Nancy
The fees for the records seems excessive.
He wants payment for a case that isn't going to be completed, so in an ethical world he should reimburse you at a prorated manner. If the treatment was to be 20 appointments at $200/visit and he only did 18 then it would seem that you wouldn't be liable for the payment of those two visits.

The dentist may take the position that your moving is not his problem, which while may be right, isn't really ethically so. Discuss this with him, taking the position that he isn't finishing the case and what is the value of the proration of the case. Remember, he is there for the case to be completed, your circumstances are causing you not to--This is why dentists get a bad reputation.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">