• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other party lying after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arao85

**Update: Text messages attached ** to thread.
http://tiny.cc/5y0z6y
State: TX
About a month ago, I was in a parking lot looking for a parking space when a vehcile following me bumped into my rear and caused slight damage to my rear bumper.
It was drizzling (had rained heavily earlier) and the other drive acknowledged it was his fault. He gave his insurance information (don't remember giving mine) and told me that if it didn't cost too much, he would just pay it himself and not go through his insurance.

A few weeks later, I reach out to him over text message stating that I have receievd a few quotes and told him that I am willing to settle for $200 which was 33% of the repair quote ($650)
He responded that he had thought that I had decided not to pursue for the damages as thats what he would have done and that my vehicle was an 'old' vehicle and not a rare car etc. He wantd me to email him the quote which I did a couple of days later.
As it appeared he was not going to pay, I reached out to his insurance company and later to mine and filed a claim. When his insurance company contacted him, he blatantly lied that it was I who was reversing and bumped into his car. I sent the entire text messages to his insurance company and they have refused taking liability for the accident as their driver was still 'lying' that I was the one who caused the accident. They said the driver does not admit guilt in the text messages (even though he was asking me for quotes and repatedly saying that my car doesn't deserve getting repaired)

I do not have any witnesses and nor was a police complaint filed. The repair cost will likely be less than my deductible and my insurance company will not be paying either. So, they will not be pursuing claims against the other driver.

What options do I have now ? All I have is the text message between us.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Situations like this are why, on general principle, I call the police.

First, until you get an estimate, you really cannot be sure of the total for the damage.

Second, it helps to stifle after the fact creative stories. Granted, that's "help to" stifle because some jerks are determined to lie from the start.

It does not matter what the other dude would do about your not-new not-rare car if it were his car, because it's not his car.
It does not matter that it was raining. It is the driver's job to be aware of weather and road conditions, and adjust their driving accordingly.

I concur with jlm on this.

I think you should also add a dash cam to you wish list.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have one. Thankfully I have not yet needed it for this purpose. At $50 I consider it cheap insurance.
Why didn't you submit the video that shows you were not backing to the other party's insurance?

arao85

Here is a link to the text messages exchanged with the other driver who is now faulting me (That I reversed into his car) ...just trying to determine the next steps.
http://tiny.cc/5y0z6y

Last edited:

arao85

The OP said he got several and then for some bizarre reason only wanted to be reimbursed for 33% of the cost. :sneaky:
The quote from an insurance referred repair shop which I emailed to the other driver was $650. That is the range for bumper repairs. I have previously used mom/pop repair shops who can fix it for less than 1/2 the price.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">