• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ouch, help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACS

texas

In a hurry I hired this man for maintenance work over the phone.
turns out that he is very old AND he has a dietbetic monitor on his body which slows him up.

So, if I fire him could I be in trouble or what would be the best way to handle this

thank you
ACS

ps, yes i learned my lesson

Beth3

Ai yi yi. I'll skip the lecture about not hiring someone over the phone since you said you learned your lesson.

How many employees in total are there at your company?

Beth3

At that size, you are exempt from all federal and, I expect, any state laws that prohibit discrimination. Under federal law, protections begin to apply for employers with 20 or more employees and state laws are usually similar. That said, it's still not a good idea to terminate someone BECAUSE of their age or disability. Base your decision on the employee's ability to do the job.

If you haven't yet spoken to him about his job performance and where he's not meeting expectations, then do so and also tell him if he can't meet the necessary standards, you'll have to let him go. Since you hired him, you really owe it to him to have this discussion and give him an opportunity and a reasonable length of time to improve. If he still can't handle the position after that, then let him go.

ACS

we have schedualed an appointment with our employee this afternoon. Hopefully we can work this out. thanks for your help

ACS

ACS

beth3,

situtation update:

We offered the empolyee a lower (but fair) hourly rate. He declined. We all shook hands and said bye.

Problem solved / lesson learned
Ai, iy, iy ;0)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">